It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Export and Import from RTC to Excel

Sivarajah Rajeswaran (15212) | asked Mar 30 '16, 10:47 p.m.
edited Mar 30 '16, 11:48 p.m. by Donald Nong (14.5k414)
I am trying to Export WIs into Excel, modify the attributes in Excel and then Import the contents of Excel into the same Plan. RTC version is 5.0.1

Export works file but the Import gives me an error. I have provided the screenshots of the steps I took

What am I doing wrong

Comments
Donald Nong commented Mar 30 '16, 11:50 p.m. | edited Mar 30 '16, 11:55 p.m.

Your screen shots are way too small and I can't see them clearly.

2 answers

permanent link
Siegfried Oesterreicher (10713730) | answered Apr 06 '16, 3:08 a.m.
Hello Sivarajah,

it's hard to see the information, but as I got this error I found out that the used CSV file was not delimited by the expected value of RTC. In you situation it looks like it expects comma and maybe a semicolon is in the csv file.
Check by opening the CSV file with a plain editor.

Many greetings.
Siegfried.

Comments
Sivarajah Rajeswaran commented Apr 06 '16, 5:12 p.m. | edited Apr 06 '16, 7:34 p.m.

When you indicate "comma" separated and the output is CSV file, it does not put the comma in the csv file. I tried other delimiters like tab and quotes.

It still did not work

After exporting AND NOT making any changed, it imports OK with no issues but if I make changes to the excel file (which is the main purpose of the export/import), then it fails with the error

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Apr 08 '16, 5:50 a.m.
I think I figure out what was going on - you need to be careful when you edit a CSV file in Excel.

When you export the CSV file, you have the option "surround fields with quotes" selected (by default) and this allows the field values to contain comma or whatever the delimiter you choose. You can open the CSV file in a text editor to verify this. When you open the CSV file in Excel, the quotes are not preserved, and when you save the CSV file in Excel, the file basically gets corrupted (format wise) and can no longer be imported back to RTC. Again, you can open the CSV file in a text editor to verify.

If you can verify that this is indeed the case, you have to do something clever in Excel to add the quotes back to the CSV file.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.