It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

.CSV File imports into RTC is causing the system ID to jump to several thousand IDs ahead..Any ideas as to why this happens?

Aizaz Aslam (111) | asked Mar 24 '16, 2:37 p.m.

Using the import utility in RTC, I am importing a .CSV file that is mapped to the corresponding fields in CLM. This import consists of CCRs (workitems) in the file with fields we want to export over from ClearQuest. It seems like the system automatically generates an Id number so high that it is throwing everything off.  For example, the CCR import would have the headline, description, priority, etc. on the file....and once imported the system does not use the sequential numbering it has established  i.e 1115..................it jumps to 7000 or something. I can't seem to figure out why it is doing this. So, when we are back to creating new CCRs....it takes the new series of numbers and goes sequentially from there! Feeling stumped over here...any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 24 '16, 3:22 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If the ID is provided the system tries to update (if the option is checked) for an import don't use update or if you want to import and update, be careful which ID's you import-

Comments
Aizaz Aslam commented Mar 24 '16, 3:25 p.m.

thank you for the response. I am sending over data without the Id field and the system automatically generates the number? all the way up? Is there a way to change IDs in RTC without disrupting anything?

Alan Sampson commented Mar 24 '16, 8:14 p.m. | edited Mar 24 '16, 8:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Work item ID numbers within RTC are unique and are generated by an internal number generator. They are usually sequential and new ones are assigned starting at {current newest work item ID in the repository}+1.  The process of assigning a work item ID number is automatic and there's no way to change it that I'm aware of.

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 29 '16, 2:32 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If you import and include the ID and tell the system to upgrade, I think you can force an ID. I think I have done that in the past. I can't be sure though.

Alan Sampson commented Mar 29 '16, 1:55 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Just tried importing with "Update" from .CSV into RTC 6.0.1. The import ignored the ID I provided in the .CSV and instead added a work item with the incremented unique ID.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.