It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How good is the/your Plain Java API performance (create WI, Folder, File)?

Philipp Selle (1527) | asked Mar 19 '16, 8:32 a.m.
Hi everyone!

I've created a small web application which creates different workitems. Additionally it creates a folder and a file (about 3KB) for each workitem in the SCM. It gets the input from a JSON file. Right now it takes about 12 seconds per workitem (+ folder/file). In total I need to create hundreds of workitems, so the whole process takes about 25-40 minutes.

I'm not sure if this is fast or slow and I'm curious if someone has done a similar process and can provide some data about the process time. So what are your experiences about the speed of creating work items per Java API?

I'd really appreciate your comments.

Thank you and have a nice weekend!
Philipp

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 19 '16, 12:19 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Just for interest's sake, what is the use case that requires creating hundreds of work items automatically?   Is it an import process to get data from another SCM system?

Philipp Selle commented Mar 19 '16, 12:32 p.m.

Hi Geoffrey,
it's an import of different work items types (for example task) to provide information how to perform a certain method.
e.g.
WI summary: "create something"
filed against: "xyz"
planned for: "xyz"
description: "the purpose of this task is... see more (link to SCM folder and file)"

Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 20 '16, 1:33 p.m.

The reason I asked is that one doesn't want to create separate work items for tasks that do not require a significant amount of work, or that might not be performed (since someone will have to manage the state of all those work items).   By a "significant" amount of work, my rule of thumb is that it should take at least half a day.   If a task will not require at least half a day of work, or might not need to be performed, I'd recommend capturing it in a lighter weight way, e.g. as an approval or checklist item on a higher level task.

2 answers

permanent link
Sudipto Sarkar (631243) | answered Mar 20 '16, 4:32 a.m.
I have done once creating 10000+ wis in rtc from Clearquest using plain java api.  It took me nearly a day but it dint hang or stop in between unless there are any network errors.
Login to rtc and starting of team platform should be done once.

Regards,
Sud

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 19 '16, 4:03 p.m.
You should start the team platform only once and then use it subsequently. See https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/boost-your-automation-performance-using-an-automation-server/ I am pretty sure that a part of your 12 seconds is due to that. The Plain Java Client Libraries use exactly the same code the Eclipse client uses. So if you keep the team platform yoiu are a lot faster.

Comments
Philipp Selle commented Mar 21 '16, 4:12 a.m.

Thank you for your comment. I'll check your blog entry about the performance later.
In my current code I start the team platform and login once.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.