It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Move VM with RTC instance from one domain to another.

Gary Day (18914) | asked Mar 17 '16, 5:18 a.m.

We have been implementing RTC 5.0.2 on two independent networks (production and integration-for testing) and plan to upgrade these to 6.0.2 in the near future.

We have a small extra network where it seems sensible to use RTC as well rather than have different CLM tools. This small network is entirely isolated with no internet access and no access to our other networks and an uncomfortable working environment in the server room where I would have to work when installing RTC.

Our IT security have said we need to keep entirely separate the RTC instance used by two projects working in this network so plan to install an ESX server with two VM's with RTC 6.0.2 installed on each. We plan a simple all on one server install with SQL backend for each server\project. We expect 10-15 users on each.

We are considering installing RTC 6.0.2 in the VM's while they are being built in one of our larger networks where it will be more comfortable and have easier access to internet resources in case of issues when installing RTC and then taking the VM's via external drive and importing into the ESX server in the small network.

My question is, If I set the URI when installing in the outside network to NOT have it as FQDN just https://servername:9443/jts and not import any data, and can get agreement from IT security to use the destination server name for the build in the source network will it make the rename unnecessary or, if only simpler, what steps would I need to do? Any data migration from the old tool into RTC will only happen after the RTC instance is up and running (probably to include CCM, QM, DM but little or no reporting.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 17 '16, 5:59 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Gary,

I am not sure what you are after here, but it sounds like asking for trouble.
I don't feel qualified to provide with suggestions other than to state potential issues and suggest a standard setup.

All on one server: my current learning is that running all apps on one server does not really work, not even for a few users. I have a full CLM 6.0.1 on my really fast Laptop with SSD's and 32 gig memory. Once the servers are up it is ok to demo, but not more. So you could have performance issues.

I don't think you should ever use the same CLM setup where you actually ran the setup already, except for testing (in an isolated test environment). I agree that it seems to be the case in your setup that all systems are isolated, but I am not sure about the future.

My only recommendation is, if you are concerned about the hospitality of the isolated network and want to save time by  reusing:
  1. Bring up your system VM(s) up to the step before you run the setup on JTS.
  2. Have a proxy that hosts the common URI for each system
  3. Backup and duplicate these VM's and bring them over to where they should run
  4. Identify stable FQN's for the systems (Use some DNS Magic if you want to)

Then, on each system start the server(s) and run the JTS setup with a valid Public URI.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.