It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Work Item Template - Ability to link to existing work item on creation

Glenn Watkins (88245) | asked Mar 11 '16, 2:50 a.m.
 Good Day Everyone

We are using RTC V 5.0

We have created work item templates that the users can generate on demand, is it possible to include Linking functionality to the creation process.?

We want the ability to establish a link from the same menu window where you assign the "Filed Against" and "Planned For" so when the work items are created they are linked to the "Parent" etc.

Thanking you in advance

Glenn Watkins

One answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Mar 13 '16, 10:58 p.m.
Hi, Glenn

If you want to include related, parent-child link when creating a workitem template, so long as you add the related workitems into the template, the link should be preserved. When creating new work items from the template, it will automatically link the new workitems as expected.
details explained in this article as well:

https://jazz.net/library/article/555

I tested with v5.0.2 and see the expected result.
Is this what you are after or you want the different link in the work item template?
What did you see in your v5.0 if it does not work for you?

Comments
Glenn Watkins commented Mar 15 '16, 5:22 a.m.

Hi Don

Apologies for my delayed reply, we have created the template in that way, what we are wanting to do is link the package to an existing work (parent) item on creation of the template.

We were hoping to build this in during the template creation process where the user is asked to update the "Filed Against" and "Planned For" attributes of the template, we were hoping to add the "link" capability in that window.

I hope this makes sense?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Kind Regards
Glenn 

sam detweiler commented Mar 15 '16, 7:07 a.m.

As Don mentions, the only way the auto Link works, is if the workitem template also creates the parent workitem. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.