It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to export project area category?

Jia Jia Li (8057152192) | asked Mar 08 '16, 2:44 a.m.
I want to replica another project area category, is there a easy way to export the category?

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Mar 08 '16, 7:34 a.m.
edited Mar 08 '16, 7:41 a.m.
you would have to write java code using the plain java api to copy the categories, as there is no built in function to do this from the UI.

but it gets complicated quickly..

to copy the categories, you need the team areas already, and the timelines, and the users (and their licenses and roles in each team area)..

Comments
Rohit Balduwa commented Mar 08 '16, 9:13 a.m.

Hi Sam

I don't think there is a way to export the team area's too. So, the code will be surely complicating the situation and maybe the permissions, advisors for the team area, UAC, etc to be taken care.
Yes, there are existing enhancements relating to exporting the workflow, category, tags, team area's.

Regards,
Rohit

sam detweiler commented Mar 08 '16, 9:20 a.m.

yes. I wrote a utility for a client a couple years ago now to copy projects from one server to another, so I understand what needs to get done.

all this is really tied into the Copy Project request enhancement.

permanent link
Rohit Balduwa (945511) | answered Mar 08 '16, 6:30 a.m.
Hi Jia

I tried exploring the options to export categories:
a. Using extract-export and import template but no luck.
b. Replacing the process configuration source but still categories not available.

There is an Enhancement request for the same which is currently Triaged. You can subscribe to the same and add comments too.
Category should be exported to the process template (272564)

For now, you have to manually create the work-item categories.

If this answers your question please mark it as accepted.

Regards,
Rohit

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.