It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Does RTC/RQM allow to use existing DB2 tablespace?

Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | asked Mar 07 '16, 9:22 p.m.
CLM 6.0.1+DB2 10.5

is it possible to manually create the CLM tablespaces with the default tablespace name, before the table create. So that the pre-creatde tablespaces can be used in creating table during the configuration using CLM Console? (some internal policies requirement )      
If yes, what are the default tablespaces name for databases used in CLM?         

From http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.1/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_manually_update_config_db2.html?lang=en, I notice that step g) suggests that
" change the com.ibm.team.repository.db.db2.content.tablespace.location property to a path on your database server, where the main table space can be created."

Does that mean if the user created a tablespace under any location and specify the location in 
  com.ibm.team.repository.db.db2.content.tablespace.location property within teamserver.properties file for each application, and it will be fine? (which means user can use their own tablespace created for each application)

How many tablespaces should be created for each application? From Oracle manually DB procedures,it seems that there are tablespace and temp tablespace created for each application, I am wondering if DB2 also needs multiple tablespaces and how we can set the property in teamserver,properties file if that is the case?

Thank you very much in advance.

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Mar 08 '16, 12:10 a.m.
edited Mar 08 '16, 12:11 a.m.
As far as I can tell, two tablespaces are created for each CLM application - CONTENTTS and JAZZTMPSPACE. Since the DML for creating the tabespaces and tables are not exposed, this is pretty much observation and guesswork.

But the real issue is does the setup process consider existing tablespaces as a valid option. It may just blindly try to create the tablespaces and fail due to name conflicts. Note that the com.ibm.team.repository.db.db2.content.tablespace.location parameter is used in the "create tablespace" DML - it specifies where the backing files should be located. In other words, it does not tell you whether pre-configured tablespaces exist.

P.S. What does the "policies requirement" refer to in the original post?

Comments
Don Yang commented Mar 09 '16, 9:57 p.m.

Thanks Donald for the inputs.

According to this article:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ReducedDB2Privileges

Does that mean if the user create their own tablespace with default name after creating each application's database following the article and it should be fine?

I am confused with step 4 there, it says:

The following parameters need to be added to the teamserver.properties file for a DB2 install before running repotools -createTables with the correct substitutions for the tablespace names and the user name. If no tablespace names are given, the install will use the default names, CONTENTTS and JAZZTMPSPACE.

It seems that tablespace can be any name set in teamserver.properties and as if they are not created yet and will be created in step 5 repotools -createTables. So what has been created in step 2? I think the two default tablespaces are created there(step2) and then running repotools in step5 is to create tables only within default tablespaces.

Donald Nong commented Mar 09 '16, 11:46 p.m.

Good find.

Note that step 5 only creates tables, not tablespaces. If in step 4 the tablespaces are specified, the repotools script will create tables in the specified tablespaces. If not specified, the script will attempt to use the tablespaces with the default name (to create tables).

Don Yang commented Mar 10 '16, 12:51 a.m. | edited Mar 10 '16, 12:52 a.m.

Thanks Donald.
So my understanding from your clarification and the article is that if step2 created tablespace with any name other than default, then step 4 is required before moving to step5, is that right?
Does that mean if the customer has any existing tablespaces, they can use step4 to specify the existing tablespace names in teamserver.properties and then move to create tables in step 5?

Donald Nong commented Mar 10 '16, 2:08 a.m.

That's correct, as long as one is of LARGE type and the other is user temporary tablespace.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.