It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

why does Burndown chart takes time to refresh for showing latest remaining work with respect to estimated hours.

Prerna Aggarwal (816) | asked Mar 07 '16, 4:14 a.m.
Hi,
 I am trying to understand burn-down chart functionality , for that I have created a sample team area , associated it with a workitem category. Initially ; burn down chart took time to refresh for new team area in its parameter list. I could not see it updated for 1 or 2 hours.
Next , I created some Tasks and Milestones , the chart was showing only Milestone workitems that were in NEW state. I am not sure why isn't it showing Tasks in Open or In Progress state.
I have added few more milestone workitems and task workitems to see the changes in BurnDown chart but it is still showing old number of effort hours . Could you please suggest if there is any configuration for Burn-Down chart that makes it fast.
Thanks & Regards,
Prerna

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 07 '16, 4:55 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 07 '16, 4:55 a.m.
Hi, I would assume an incorrect assumption about reporting, data collection and real-time data, which leads to this perception.

As far as I can tell, these reports all run on the data warehouse data. The data warehouse data is collected in ETL/Data collection jobs. The frequency of the ETL's is from around once every night up to more than once an hour, based on the technology and the server bandwidth that is used.  In 5.0.2 the new data collection component was first introduced, which realistically allows to run the data collection on a higher frequency.

Since you fail to mention the version, I can't say anything.

If you want to see any progress in the reports you generate from the test data you use, you have to
  1. Modify your test data
  2. Run a new data collection/ETL job
  3. Go to 1
Prerna Aggarwal selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Prerna Aggarwal commented Mar 07 '16, 5:24 a.m.

Thanks.

I was thinking that burn down charts read real time data. I need to study it more. I am using RTC 5.0.2 iFIX 003 version. I will ask admin to confirm the default frequency of data collection job execution.

Thanks & Regards,
Prerna

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 07 '16, 5:37 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

A burn down/Burn up/Velocity always requires the temporal dimension: change over time. So you will always need some data warehouse data for the historical trends. If you wanted to report over the life data, you would need a completely different additional access to the life data, so usually these reports only run on the data warehouse. 

One other answer

permanent link
Rohit Balduwa (945511) | answered Mar 07 '16, 4:54 a.m.
Hi Prerna

Did you managed to follow the below steps:
1. Run the Data Warehouse job (this happens every 24 hours automatically, or you can trigger it manually from the Reports page in the Admin section. You can also try to run full ETL load instead of delta load.
2. Get some work done - complete tasks, set Stories to Completed, etc. The burn down is a graph over time of work done.

You should see progress on the chart after the two event above occur.

Another thing to check - is that specific burn down chart set to point to the right project and team? Also, is the user defined to run the ETL's have the correct Jazz role and permissions to sync the data for RTC and DW?

Ideally, the data should show up instantly after a successful ETL run.

Regards,
Rohit

Comments
Prerna Aggarwal commented Mar 07 '16, 5:21 a.m.

Thanks Rohit.
Yes , it is getting refreshed in 24 hours. I need to check with Admin what is the default frequency of data collection jobs execution.

Thanks and Regards,
Prerna

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.