It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Global backlog accross timelines

Sean Burke (3789136235) | asked Mar 02 '16, 3:05 p.m.
6 teams, 6 timelines, plans for each team.  A team is associated with a timeline.  Each timeline has backlog.  We want to see a global backlog across teams and therefore timelines

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 09 '16, 1:35 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
A backlog has to be an iteration. Since an iteration can only be in one timeline you have the options only one timeline for the project area and every team and one common backlog iteration. So as far as I can tell you can only go for a backlog for each timeline. How many timelines you have is your choice.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Sergio Barbutti commented Aug 09 '16, 3:37 p.m. | edited Aug 10 '16, 2:46 a.m.

Thanks Ralph!!
Thing is that when I got to this team the RTC project area was already set up. Now, there is a need to see a single backlog for multiple timelines(one per app). So was trying to adapt somehow :-/.

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 10 '16, 3:18 a.m.

There is no way to solve issues with contradicting requirements. You could try to solve this with a query instead of a plan, I think.

One other answer

permanent link
Sergio Barbutti (252) | answered Aug 09 '16, 1:01 p.m.
Does anyone have an answer for that? I have the same situation and tried a couple of things

1) Created a new timeline and an iteration for the backlog. Created a plan for this iteration, having the project area as owner.

2) The only 'issue' I found was that I needed to have all categories and plans for the team areas associated to the project area.

I didn't like much this 'solution' and would like to know if there is a better way to have a single backlog shared by multiple timelines in the same project area.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Aug 12 '16, 3:48 a.m. | edited Aug 12 '16, 3:49 a.m.

I think your description of your approach is in the solution space of the accepted answer. You chose one timeline with one backlog iteration so now you have to have all team areas to work against that iteration. 
The answer also tries to explain that you can not expect to have a solution that violates the design and logic.

So the answer is: there is no other or better way I would be aware of to solve this, due to the design of the planning component.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.