It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Lock a stream not working as expected

Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | asked Feb 25 '16, 12:15 a.m.
edited Feb 25 '16, 12:16 a.m.
RTC 5.0.2 used.

in order to lock a stream, according to the forum discussions:

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/32955/how-tro-lock-a-stream
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/70421/how-to-lock-a-stream-or-component

the recommended way is to set stream owner to a special team that does not grant delivery permissions.
We tried the below test:
- create a scrum project area 'test'
- 'test' PA has user bob and Al, both bob and Al have team member role and have the permission to deliver the changeset
everyone role has no permissions set
- create a team area ' testteamarea', there is no member in this team area.
- create a stream 'teststream' and set owner to 'testteamarea'
- user bob tries to deliver changeset to teststream and it works

Here it seems that user bob as a member of project area will have access to its any team areas under this project area and its assigned role at PA level will be inherited automatically by the team area even though bob is not a member of team area.

My question is:
- is the member of PA supposed to have the same role(permissions) for the team areas under this PA?
- to lock the stream, "a special team that does not grant delivery permissions and make the stream owned by a team" in the above two forums actually suggest to point to a team area under a different project area in which bob is NOT a member of PA and Teamarea(such as a dummy PA and TA which has no members)?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Melissa Kivisto (2871021) | answered Feb 25 '16, 10:29 a.m.
edited Feb 25 '16, 10:29 a.m.
What you're doing usually works because usually "typical" users are not added to the project area, but rather only to team areas.  So if your PA had two TAs, one would be configured to allow members to deliver, the other one not, and you could set these as owners for streams to decide if people can deliver.

If you wanted to still have everyone be members of the PA, you could also try setting the role required to deliver in the TA to something higher than Team Member, so that even if Bob is a Team Member in the PA, he won't be able to deliver.

Don Yang selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Don Yang commented Feb 25 '16, 6:21 p.m.

Thanks Melissa.
The two options work. I added the same role and member to TA(2nd option) and configured delivery permission to Not permitted instead of inheritance(default) and that works for me.
With many users, I think configurations are time consuming and the best option is still creating a dummy project/team and set it as stream's owner. This will be easily reversed as well once the stream is to unlock.

2 other answers

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Oct 05 '17, 1:23 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note: In RTC 6.0.2 we added a feature that lets you lock streams and components to prevent deliveries to the files in those streams or components. Stream and component locks work in a similar manner to file locks but apply to the entire stream or the entire component in a stream. When a stream or component is locked, any attempted deliveries by users who do not own the lock will fail with an appropriate error message. The user that holds the lock can still perform deliveries to the stream. A lock does not only prevent deliveries, it also prevents any operation that affects the files in the locked component or stream. For example, a component replace is also prevented.

See: https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/6.0.2?p=newsDetails#stream-locking

permanent link
Arun K Sriramaiah (3.2k13177) | answered Feb 25 '16, 5:51 a.m.
Hi Don,

I think you have to have separate Team Area created and also you should set the Owner and Visibility scope for stream to the team areas to completely lock the stream.

Please try and let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Arun.

Comments
Don Yang commented Feb 25 '16, 6:17 p.m.

Thanks Arun for the suggestion.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.