It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 5.0.2 - Question on Plan view display parameter

vishnudharan manivannan (1183542) | asked Feb 24 '16, 12:03 a.m.
edited Feb 24 '16, 2:55 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645)
Hello Team,

We are using RTC 5.0.2. I have a question in the plan view.

Steps to reproduce:
I have a custom workitem called Theme. Under which I have an epic as a child. Also the epic contains stories and tasks as children items.
Now in the timelines I have created an iteration called theme backlog which contains sub-iterations.

So All my themes will be planned for the theme backlog and the epics will be part of different sub-iterations. The main use case is to see Themes & epics which are planned with "Parent-Child" structure.

Scenario 1:
In my plan when I set the display as Tree - parent <> child - depth - level 1(include children from other plan
RTC accumulates all the child tasks planned for information and displays the bar (of course there are tasks which a were planned in july however this seems to be a realistic plan, totally agreed)

Scenario 2:
In my plan when I set the display as Flat
Now I am able to see the desired result what I want. The plan only shows the themes and epics as I have planned them. It does not consider the child stories/tasks accumulation.

My Question is in the first diagram if I keep depth as Level 1, Then RTC should consider only the themes & it's 1 level child epics correct ? why is it considering also the epic's children & tasks accumulation ? This being the reason I loose my parent-child relationship & I have to have a user defined sorting.

Can someone correct me if my understanding is wrong ?

Thanks in advance,
Vishnu M

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Mar 03 '16, 4:27 a.m.
You did not say whether the Story and Task work items are in the same plan. If yes, then what you observed is expected. Note that the option in your first screen shot is "include children from other plan".

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.