It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

single or multiple profiles in WebSphere?

Robin Parker (32633738) | asked Feb 20 '16, 5:01 a.m.
 Hi all,

I will be installing CCM, QM and RM onto a single server using WebSphere full profile 8.5.

Is it best to have one profile with all three apps in or one profile for each app?

My thoughts behind a profile for each app is that then there's a java process for each?

Many Thanks,

Robin

Accepted answer

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Feb 22 '16, 6:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Robin,

I would like to recommend going through the article :
    https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/StandardTopologiesOverview

In the above referred article, you can find different deployment options based on different parameters. 
Some key considerations to make before going for a certain deployment option would be
a.  the concurrent user load,
b.  the purpose - scm is high or requirements usage is high or something else
c.  acceptable performance expectations.
d.  required scalability, may be you start small but would be bringing in more users/projects in, soon sometime..

In fact, based on the usage needs, you could co-locate some applications while giving a dedicated JVM (yes a new profile for it) for others. 

If you are talking about v6.x, one profile will be an overkill. 
Below 6.x, it may still be ok for a evaluation purpose.  Use the article mentioned above as your guide and you may be in good shape even when new projects are on-boarded with more users...

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dinesh
Robin Parker selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Feb 21 '16, 6:17 p.m.
I think it depends on how much isolation of these applications you want.

If you install all three into the same WAS profile, they share the same JVM, JDBC connection pool, and etc. If you install them separately into multiple WAS profiles, JVM, JDBC connection pools and etc will be isolated and what gets shared is at the OS level, such as CPU, physical memory and etc.

A single profile is easier to maintain, that's for sure. You can separate the application from this shared profile when the need comes (e.g. work load on a particular application increase significantly and affects other applications). It's a good practice to set up a reverse proxy to have a consistent public URI.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.