It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cross-project planning access to other projects fails

Wilmer Thomas (1113) | asked Feb 19 '16, 12:22 p.m.
edited Feb 23 '16, 1:54 a.m.
Hi!
I am trying out configuration and cross-project management for CLM v6.0.0, specifically RTC.
I struggle to get access to other project areas when I want to create a tracking task, as per
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.0/com.ibm.team.apt.doc/topics/t_creating_cross_project_plan_web.html

I have set Access control in all project areas to be "Evryone" and I have provided the Provides - change sets link from top-level ccm project to all the other ccm projects I want to cross-track
But I just see the top level project when I try to create a track link from an item in my top-level cross-project plan...

Where is the missing configuration?

/LWT

Comments
Wilmer Thomas commented Feb 19 '16, 12:26 p.m.

Sry, browser hickup on publishing Q it seems... :P

4 answers

permanent link
Thomas Karlkvist (1113) | answered Feb 19 '16, 2:08 p.m.
Have you made sure that the user trying to create the Cross-project tracking links is allowed to read and write to the lower level projects?
Ie member with such rights in the projects to track.

Comments
Wilmer Thomas commented Feb 21 '16, 5:01 p.m.

@Karlkvist

I have indeed found some projects that I want to track where the member on top-level project were not included as member - but I also have other projects I want to track that did.
Neither succeeds to show in the list of available projects when I want to create a track link in a top-level cross-project plan work item (task).

Wilmer Thomas commented Feb 24 '16, 8:38 a.m.

As it turns out, on the projects where I had read access, I did not have a Planned snapshot to track.

And when I turned on rights to read Planned snapshot on low level project for the management user on top level - it all worked out :)
So thank you for the suggestion on user rights! :)

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 19 '16, 2:27 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Have you configured the project associations, so that one project provides change requests/work items to the other?
If you don't you won't find the other project to search for work items. The access permission is not enough. You have to explicitely set up the relationship between the project areas to be able to use the tracks link. Other than norman work item links, tracks/contributes to requires that setup.

Pleas also see https://jazz.net/library/article/1152 for how it is supposed to work.

Comments
Wilmer Thomas commented Feb 21 '16, 5:01 p.m.

@Ralph

I have tried ever so meticulously to follow the article; though it is v4 I guess it is still fully valid?
Btw I go green trying to find the same information from v4 in v6 tapping... grr...

permanent link
Wilmer Thomas (1113) | answered Feb 21 '16, 5:02 p.m.
I thank you both for replying!

I have two more pieces of input:
- I run v6.0.0 :0
Need I upgrade?

- When I look to friends and consumers et al, I find some entries not trusted (see below). 
Could this be it, and which functional user should one use here? 
I gather ccm_user for the LocalOauthProvider on Team Concert maybe?

Additonal questions:
-> Is it really nescessary to set up friends between applications when all run on the same jazz server (just looking at rm/qm/ccm atm)?
-> Does a local ccm project looking at other local ccm projects need this consumer/producer OAuth nonsens...?
:P

Consumer Name Consumer Key Functional User ID Trusted Actions
com.ibm.team.dashboard xxx Untrusted
com.ibm.team.enterprise.systemDefinition xxx Untrusted
com.ibm.team.enterprise.zos.systemdefinition.migration xxx Untrusted
Jazz Team Server xxx jts_user Trusted
LocalOauthProvider xxx Untrusted

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Feb 22 '16, 4:34 a.m.

No, you don't have to upgrade for this feature to work.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 22 '16, 4:33 a.m.
edited Feb 22 '16, 4:42 a.m.
The feature is documented here: https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.0/com.ibm.team.apt.doc/topics/t_creating_cross_project_plan_web.html

In order to be able to create a tracks relationship to a work item in another project area, you have to create an association between the project areas.

Go to the project area(s) that should be tracked and open the project area administration. In each project area create a provides relationship for change requests to the project area that should be able to track the work items.

Save the change to the project area. Once you have done that, you should be able to see the project area in the work item search dialog, provided you have read-access to that project area.

Comments
Wilmer Thomas commented Feb 22 '16, 5:46 a.m. | edited Feb 22 '16, 5:53 a.m.

Thank you for the link Ralph, and for the effort to pastew screenshots!

However, as I wrote initially I have indeed succeeded at creating links between the projects
I have provided the Provides - change sets link from top-level ccm project to all the other ccm projects I want to cross-track
But it is in the second step that I fail to see any other projects but my top level one, into which cross-project plan I try to add a Tracks-link for a work item of the plan.
And this is the configuration details that I cannot find any references to in online documentation and/or articles

Also, I have made sure I am member of both top level (scrum master, team meber) and low-level projects (team member and/or scrum master). The role in itself should provide sufficient read permission, should it not? Besides the projects are opened on access control so everyone has access to it.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 22 '16, 8:22 a.m.

Access permissions are controlled by the Access Control tab, dependent on that you can or can not see items.

In addition it is possible to limit read access by category. see https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2016/01/27/manage-access-control-permissions-for-work-items-and-versionables/ for more details.

You should just run a query on the project area to make sure you can see work items.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 22 '16, 8:24 a.m.

And make sure you have provided the change request in the right direction.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.