It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Doors Next Gen Modules or collections inside of a Module?

Jim Tompkins (19317) | asked Feb 12 '16, 3:05 p.m.

New user here. 

In DNG, I want to create reusable modules.  These modules would be building blocks for creating other modules.  When I create the parent module and try to select the child module, I can see the child, but I cannot select it.   I do see how to add other artifacts to module, just not other module, or a collect.

Can you nest module or a collection inside of other module?

Thanks!

2 answers

permanent link
Taly Hotimsky (2714557) | answered Feb 13 '16, 12:42 p.m.
As far as I know, no you cannot nest neither under Modules.
Not sure which version you're using nor if this has changed in later versions, but I don't think so.

For Collections, one workaround is to embed the Collection in a Text artifact and add that Text artifact to the Module.
For Modules, I don't have a workaround, sorry.

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Feb 14 '16, 7:53 p.m.
I would suggest the following.

1. If a module will not have more than one child modules, use a module template instead.

2. If you would like to reuse artifacts from several (child) modules.
a. Configure all the desired child modules first.
b. Manually lock the child modules, probably with a dedicated user account, so that no one else can modify them.
c. To add the child module into another module, open the child module first, select all the artifacts within it (click on the first artifact, and Shift+click the last one), copy them, and then paste into the other module.
d. You can use the Paste Special option to have a bit more control over what is being pasted.
e. Repeat 2.c for other child modules if needed.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.