It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[Q] Artifact owner of DNG

Taemin(TM) KO (91410) | asked Feb 11 '16, 12:36 a.m.
There is not a predefined attribute, "Owner" for each artifact. Isn't it?
What is appropriate use case to assign Owner at each artifact?

There are attributes for "Created By" and "Modified By" but neither of them is not always designated owner.
What I mean by owner is the person who is in charge of the requirement duriing requirement definition and management.
Usually it might be a Business Analyst or Key stakeholder of the requirement.

In case of "Created By", sometimes "Administrator" is assigned in case the administrator imported requirements from csv at once.
In case of "Modified By", anyone who has right to update the requirements, might be the value for "Modified By"
Neither of them is not ths use case that I'm looking for.

Of couse I may create another attribute such as "Owner" to assign designated owner of the requirement.
Is it the only way that I can make a place for owner? Or is therer fancier way to support that?

Jazz.net Forum always helps me a lot. Thank you for your reply in advance :)

2 answers

permanent link
Keith Collyer (456511) | answered Feb 11 '16, 6:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Such an attribute is often used. There are three options commonly used:
  1. Use a text attribute. Advantage is you don't have to set it up, disadvantage is that it is unconstrained, making searching and sorting less useful
  2. Use an enumerated attribute. Advantages and disadvantages the reverse of those for text, plus the advantage that you can easily choose from what is generally a relatively small list. The value could be a name, or it could be a role.
  3. (Variant) use an attribute that shows registered users. I cannot recall if this is easily doable in DNG. The advantage is that you know that the person is entered correctly. Disadvantages include that there is probably a huge list of users. Also, what happens when the allocated user is removed from the system?
I would tend to go with the 2nd option. In practice, the overhead of creating and maintaining the list is not that great.

Comments
Taemin(TM) KO commented Feb 11 '16, 7:21 a.m.

I agree. 2nd option seems to be practical. Thanks for your reply Keith.

BTW you are the Keith from UK who have been here in Korea for S- Electronics DNG adoption a couple of years ago? I worked with you at that time. I remember it was only for about 2 weeks but definitely helped me a lot to understand important background of Requirement management and DNG :)

Keith Collyer commented Feb 11 '16, 9:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am, well remembered and thank you! Are you working with Deok Su Lee?

Taemin(TM) KO commented Feb 11 '16, 2:38 p.m.

Yes, I'm working with Deok Su

permanent link
Diana Kraaijeveld (56227) | answered Feb 11 '16, 10:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I'd like to comment on option 3 mentioned by Keith:
A 'user'-type attribute may be the easiest to use option.
In the DNG project-properties (double-checked this in 6.0.1), you can create an attribute of data-type 'user'.
When creating this attribute, you are presented with the list of users that are a member of the project. You can remove users from this list if you only want some users to be potential stakeholders (and you can later add users again, as long as they are a member of the project).
And when done you can add this attribute to your artifact-type(s).

When users are  filling in this attribute for a requirement, they are presented with this list of users and just have to tick the one they want to set as the owner/stakeholder.

Comments
Keith Collyer commented Feb 11 '16, 11:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks for the clarification. In many ways, this is the best answer, the issues are that (a) you may want to assign to a role rather than an individual and (b) you cannot have an "Owner" who is not on the system, which can happen in practice for a number of reasons. These don't make it wrong, you have to think about which works best for you

Taemin(TM) KO commented Feb 11 '16, 2:41 p.m. | edited Feb 11 '16, 2:41 p.m.

Thanks Diana. I didn't imagine DNG support this kind of functionality.
Let me check as soon as I go to client's office again :)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.