It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG -> Importing word documents in to a module

Mahari Hill (4861169230) | asked Feb 09 '16, 12:01 p.m.
CLM 502

I want to import a word document in to a module. In the word document, there is a table where each row has

Business Requirement
BR1.0 | The actual Business Requirement | Should
Functional Requirement
FR1.0 | blah blah | Must
Non Functional Requirements
NFR1.0 | blah

I want anything with BR* = Business Requirement
I want anything with FR* = Functional Requirement
I want anything with NFR* = Non-Functional Requirement

Do I use Keywords or Text Delimiters from the Import wizard to do this? Keywords seems like it does not take an *, and Text Delimiters seems like it needs an "Ends with".

Please help.

Bonus, how do I get Must into the Business Priority field?

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Feb 09 '16, 7:17 p.m.
edited Feb 09 '16, 7:18 p.m.
I don't think you can do it as is. RDNG treats the table as a whole, and will import the whole table into one single requirement.

Not sure how practical for your situation, I would suggest the following.
1. Add two columns to each side of the table.
2. For the first column, enter the keyword "BRSTART", "FRSTART", "NFRSTART" and etc. You can come up with other keywords, as long as they cannot be found in the original text.
3. For the last column, enter the keyword "BREND", "FREND", "NFREND" and etc.
4. Copy the entire table.
5. Paste it into the same or a new document, without the table structure. The end result should be for each row of the original table, there should be a paragraph starting with the "*START" keyword and ending with the "*END" keyword.
6. Import the modified document, and use the keyword option to pick out requirements. You can specify multiple sets of keywords at the same time for different artifact types. You may want to not import anything else (all set to "none" except for the Text Delimiters box).
7. (This is the hard part) open each newly created requirements and (optionally) change the title (BR1.0 and etc), and add the Must/Should to the Business Priority field - RDNG does not support modifying property values during import.

If you (or someone working with you) are good at coding, you may consider developing an application to parse the documents and submit the requirements using OSLC API.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.