It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do we create custom prefixes for requirement id numbers?

Debra Aubrey (1112) | asked Feb 05 '16, 12:26 p.m.

I am importing existing data into DNG where requirement ID's have been defined using different prefixes.  For example, SYSxxx or SWxxx.  Is it possible to define custom prefixes for IDs that DNG will automatically increment as new artifacts are added? 

One answer

permanent link
ian green (17814) | answered Feb 08 '16, 2:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Debra
Requirement IDs in DNG are numbers allocated by the system.  There is no "prefix" feature, although there is an enhancement request for this: The ID shall have a configurable prefix in the scope of a specification (77371).

Some customers implement other schemes, depending on their needs:
  • Use the artefact's type to take the place of the "prefix".
  • Add another attribute to the artefact for the prefix, and combine that with the ID in reports etc.

regards

-ian

Comments
vikrant kamble commented Jul 11 '17, 3:18 a.m.

Hi ian,

I was looking for similar thing as that of Debra, We are using CLM 6.0.2 and I don't think we have feature to provide prefixes to artifact id.
In your answer you have mentioned two ways to achieve this thing, could you please elaborate more about the suggested alternative.

Thanks in advance
Vikrant

Donald Nong commented Jul 17 '17, 3:20 a.m.

The two schemes mentioned by Ian are actually similar - you take a name from somewhere else (artifact type, or another attribute), and combine it with the ID when you need to refer to the artifact in other applications. For example, an artifact of type "Business Plan" with ID 1234 can be referred to as BusinessPlan1234, or BP1234. But if you are thinking of a sequence for each prefix, then it is not possible.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.