It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Will archiving unused project areas make my Insight Data Manager ETL for RTC faster?

Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | asked Feb 02 '16, 7:21 a.m.
edited Feb 02 '16, 7:25 a.m.
I have old and unused project areas in my CLM environment and use the Insight Data Manager ETL to populate the data warehouse.
Would archiving those projects improve the RTC ETL performance?

One answer

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Feb 02 '16, 7:22 a.m.
edited Feb 02 '16, 7:23 a.m.
Most of the REST calls used by the RTC ETL has a parameter that excludes data from archived projects, meaning the REST API will not return them.
See the following extract from ri_jdbc.log and the projectAreaArchived=false parameter.

12/11/2015 16:10:09,279 INFO  main com.ibm.rational.drivers.jdbc.xml.RDSStatement : CRRRE1223I: Preparing the query => SELECT "uniqueId",
"modified",
"itemId",
"archived",
"name",
"description",
"contextId",
"href",
"qualifiedName",
"projectAreaItemId",
"id",
"DATASOURCE_ID"
FROM "WORKITEM_CCM"."Category"
WHERE modifiedsince='2015-12-11 15:53:47' AND projectAreaArchived=false

This means the REST API will not return data from archived projects area, reducing the number of records that the ETL has to process.

There are a few exceptions where data is fetched from all project areas like "WORKITEM_CCM"."Link" "WORKITEM_CCM"."DeletedWorkItem" "WORKITEM_CCM"."DeletedLink" "WORKITEM_CCM"."WorkItemTypeMapping" that I think is because when a project area is archived links and deletions still needs to be processed.

As an additional benefit a project area that is archived will have no changes, meaning the delta ETL will never have to process any data from it in the future.
This is achieved with the modifiedsince parameter.

In conclusion, archiving unused project areas can be beneficial to the ETL execution.
Note: It's of course difficult to estimate the magnitude of the change in execution time.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.