It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to identify the shared components in stream?

Pravin Patil (104138133) | asked Jan 25 '16, 7:57 p.m.
Hi,
I have 15 streams. The stream strategy is such that most of them have shared components (e.g. new components were NOT created when StreamB was created, instead components from earlier release streamA were ADDed to StreamB)
Now looking at the streamB, how can we identify, "components from which stream were used to create this streamB?"

Please let me know.

2 answers

permanent link
Pravin Patil (104138133) | answered Mar 02 '16, 8:02 p.m.
I was able to find a way to check which stream is consuming components from which stream (wherever applicable).

Right click on a stream > Show > Events > expand the event history > and it will give the details of when was the stream created, who created, what components were added (and also the details about which work space) etc.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 26 '16, 12:00 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Note that it is best practice to initialize a component in a stream from a baseline, so you can use a compare operation to determine how this stream component has changed since it was first added to the stream.
And in that case, in 6.0.2, you will be able to see a graphical display of the baseline history of a component:
[CCM] Component history graph including branching/merging (286826)
But this might not be what you are looking for ... could you indicate why you want to know this information?

Comments
Pravin Patil commented Jan 26 '16, 11:47 a.m.

Yesterday, something wrong went wrong with a build, so we wanted to know the stream is created out of which stream? and I was not able to find a way to answer the stream components were added from which stream while creation?

How to identify this?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 26 '16, 2:45 p.m.

How will knowing what stream a component was added from help you with what went wrong with the build?

Pravin Patil commented Jan 26 '16, 4:59 p.m.

Ofcourse this is going to help fix the stream if it has incorrect source...

Is there a way?

Melissa Kivisto commented Jan 26 '16, 6:49 p.m.

Have you identified the change set that broke the build?  If so, you can use that to see which streams need to be fixed. 

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 26 '16, 10:24 p.m.

Pravin:  "Of course this is going to help" is not a useful answer to the question.  If you can explain why you think this will help you fix the bug, we could probably tell you how to proceed.   For example, the stream from which it was originally obtained is likely to have changed since then, so knowing what stream it originally came from would be of no value (which is one reason why starting a stream from a baseline is best practice, since a baseline cannot change).

Pravin Patil commented Jan 27 '16, 3:51 p.m.
Hi Melissa, Geoffrey,

I created a stream from baseline of another stream, after 3 months we started seeing missing change sets, which indicated that they were missing right from start. So now we want to know which stream was used to create it. We have frequent priority releases, for which we create new streams frequently. Renaming streams is also a common practice here.
Hence to know which stream is sharing which components will help in keeping a track of streams and components.

I may be wrong, but I dont see RTC been able to tell that information.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 27 '16, 9:27 p.m.

So you want to use this information to see if other streams have the same problem (i.e. are missing those change sets)?   If so, then a much better way is to use the locate-change-set functionality, using the list of missing change sets, and the list of streams that should have this functionality.   This is much better because it lets you find all of the streams with this problem, while the "which stream did I come from" only tells you one such stream, and that stream may no longer even have the problem (because the change sets have already been added there, or that stream may no longer even have that component).

Pravin Patil commented Jan 28 '16, 12:08 p.m.

Thanks Geoffery, I will assume that currently there is no way in RTC to identify just by looking at a component what its source is.

showing 5 of 8 show 3 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.