It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Common Work Item Category for several team areas

Krasimir Malchev (56531) | asked Jan 25 '16, 2:54 a.m.
edited Jan 25 '16, 3:58 a.m.
There are several different team areas which are working on totally different HMI-related functionality.
In the "Work Item Categories" tab of an RTC project area (where the team areas belong to), I want to have only one HMI category somehow associated to these teams instead of having a distinct HMI WI categories associated to each team.

In this case, if I have only one HMI category shared between those teams, I would easily create a WI query which extracts all those teams by specifying only one HMI category as a condition.
If we were having different HMI categories for each team then we would end up with specifying all these categories in the WI query.

Can you please help me set up such an association "WI Category - team area"?

PS: I also want to avoid any warnings like a work item category is not assigned to a team area if a solution is proposed here.

Thanks for your answer!

Best Regards,
Krasimir Malchev

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 26 '16, 10:43 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I agree with Ralph, but to rephrase a bit, the purpose of the FiledAgainst property (and its Category values) is to automate the assignment of a work item to a specific team area.   In order for this assignment to be unambiguous, a given Category must be mapped to exactly one team area.   If this is not the semantics you want, then you have to define your own custom property, and not use Categories.
Krasimir Malchev selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 25 '16, 4:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As far as I can tell, you can only associate a category to exactly one team area. So, I don't think categories can be used here. If the querying capability is the key here you could try the following approaches:

1. Have a root category e.g. HMI and then underneath it one for each team. That way you could query for HMI and the subtree below
2. Use a custom attribute or tag to identify all the work items.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.