It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Config file syntax to stop export after specific row or delimeter?

Josh Poplawski (1111) | asked Jan 22 '16, 12:41 p.m.
I am writing a configuration file to work with the excel add on for RQM that allows excel spreadsheets to be imported into RQM. The excel file has several rows, with each row representing a different script to import into RQM test scripts. I know that: testscript.XLSStartRow=<row number in excel> is how you set the starting row for import and that: testscript.XLSDelimeter=\n will start a new script for each row (defines the element that denotes the next artifact). However, when I run the import the importer imports all 1,048,576 rows! There are only 12 rows with data in my test spreadsheet I am importing. Is there a syntax for telling the importer to stop after a certain number of rows or when it encounters an empty row? Or is there something I have configured wrong?

The excel file has one work sheet with a test case and another work sheet with all the scripts associated with that work sheet. we want to export the test case and all the scripts appropriately into RQM.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Here is the configuration file I'm having trouble with:
// since we aren't defining an ID to use, the tool will create one based on the excel worksheet
// and workbook names

// We want to start looking for scripts after row 4
// <>Test Script Attributes<>

testscript.XLSStartRow=5
testscript.dc:title=B5

// the literal "execution" will be put into the step type tag, so all steps will be of type execution
// <>Test Script Step Attributes<>

testscript.steps.type="execution"
testscript.steps.description=D
testscript.steps.title=D
testscript.steps.name=D
testscript.steps.comment=I
testscript.steps.expectedResult=E

// a new script starts when we encounter an empty row
testscript.XLSDelimeter=\n

// test case defined with  definite cell locations
// <>Test Case Attributes<>

testcase.dc:title=A3
testcase.dc:description=D2
testcase.XLSLink=testscript
//testcase.Section("myns:com.ibm.rqm.planning.editor.section.testCaseDesign","RQM-KEY-TC-DESIGN-TITLE")=RichText(H4)

testcase.Test_Case_Verifies=C2
testcase.Test_Requirements=E2
testcase.Pre-Conditions=F2
testcase.Post-Conditions=G2
testcase.Test_Engineer=H2
testcase.Test_Start_Date=I2
testcase.Test_End_Date=J2
testcase.Test_Actor=K2
testcase.Test_Criteria=L2
testcase.Actual_Test_Case_Result=M2
testcase.Test_Case_Status=N2
testcase.Test_Result_Comments=O2
testcase.Test_Evidence_Hyperlink=P2

2 answers

permanent link
Joao Carusi (263114) | answered Mar 12 '16, 9:07 a.m.
 Hi Josh, 

I reviewed the sample: \RQMExcelImporter\Samples\WOW Test Cases.cfg 
and I think your cfg is missing the XLSDelimeter for the test case (you informed only for testscript)
testcase.XLSStartRow=4
testcase.XLSDelimeter=\n

I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but in the WOW test cases.cfg they added the XLSDelimeter just after the XLSStartRow:

// Start looking for scripts after row 4
testscript.XLSStartRow=4

You said: "
The excel file has one work sheet with a test case and another work sheet with all the scripts associated with that work sheet." I would like to suggest you to use XLSWorksheetID (see the sample Test Cases made from scripts with concatenation)

// this configuration file will create a single test case from the defined cells and link to all
// test scripts in the same worksheet

// since we aren't defining an ID to use, the tool will create one based on the excel worksheet 
// and workbook names

// We want to start looking for scripts after row 7
testscript.XLSWorksheetID="Acme Hammers"
testscript.XLSStartRow=7
testscript.dc:title=B

// the literal "execution" will be put into the step type tag, so all steps will be of type execution
testscript.steps.type="execution"
testscript.steps.description=B
testscript.steps.title=B
testscript.steps.name=B
testscript.steps.expectedResult=F & " " & image(F)

// test case defined with  definite cell locations
testcase.dc:title=C1
testcase.dc:description=C2
testcase.XLSWorksheetID="Acme Hammers"
testcase.XLSLink=testscript

permanent link
Mehul Patel (9695) | answered Feb 03 '16, 1:22 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR
Josh,

No, RQMExcelImporter does not support keyword to indicate end of data row. But it iterates through all the rows having data (Office API provides this range). Having said that it really doesn't matter how many rows excel sheet is having but tool will iterates through only rows having data.

Regards,
Mehul

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.