It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I upload and update a list of Custom Enumeration values?

Kenneth Herrscher (12313) | asked Jan 19 '16, 11:45 a.m.
edited Jan 19 '16, 5:09 p.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
I need to make a custom enumeration list of active projects here.  We have nearly 5K of them. I want to interface our list of active projects to a custom enumeration list.  Is that possible? If so, what is the best way to do so?

I would like to write a query from our Enterprise Data Warehouse to provide custom Enumeration Lists of cost centers and active project ID's, and make them available to my custom enumeration lists.

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 19 '16, 12:10 p.m.
there are really only two ways

in each case, you have to build the list manually

1. use shared projects and put the contents in the process config
   for this process. I used Excel to make the xml text that needs to be pasted into the process config.
   note that YOU need to be careful that a specific project to internal ID stays consistent.

2. do NOT use shared process config and use database storage for enumerations
  I do not know of any api to inject the list of enum entries into the DB in a batch kind of way.

warning.. I personally do not know the impact of 5,000 entries in an enum list on the performance of the UI or system

Comments
Kenneth Herrscher commented Jan 19 '16, 12:14 p.m.

How would I use the database storage option to define the list of enumeration values? That sounds like my only viable option.

sam detweiler commented Jan 19 '16, 12:22 p.m.

when u create the custom ENUM in the process definition for this project, you select where the data is stored. Note that if you select database, you cannot use shared process config to use the same definition in multiple projects. each project will have a unique database storage area to be maintained

Kenneth Herrscher commented Jan 21 '16, 6:43 p.m.

Really, Sam, your post is off topic.

I am trying to locate the tables in the CCM database that contain the enumeration's list of values. Does anyone know that?  I found the parent enumeration in table ccm.[ENUMERATION].[ENUMERATION].IDENTIFIER, but I don't know where the children's records are stored. What table contains them?

sam detweiler commented Jan 21 '16, 6:48 p.m.

you didn't say put into database. you said report on FROM database.

Kenneth Herrscher commented Apr 05 '16, 7:45 p.m.

The question is how to interface a value list from  the results of a query that we would like to use to do an insert into the Jazz DB as our list of open projects changes weekly.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Apr 05 '16, 10:00 p.m.
If you just want to get a list of the active project areas so that you can add one of them to an attribute in a work item, why not just use an attribute of the type "Project Area" or "Project Area List"(if more than one project areas are allowed)? It's simple and straightforward.

Enumerations are sort of "static" and you have to keep maintaining them.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.