It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[Q] DNG (DOORS Next Generation) default attribute (Name) in View

Taemin(TM) KO (91410) | asked Jan 14 '16, 2:49 a.m.
When I create views in artifacts or collections, "Name" attribute is not removable. It always displayed even I don't write any valuable information in that field. Actually I write requirements in "Primary Text". If I don't explicitly update "Name", it gets to have the exactly same contents that I typed in "Primary Text". But I cannot use "Name" to write in requirement since I cannot insert image or tables in "Name". So, for my part, "Name" is not mandatory attribute and should be removable in view configuration, which is not the way DNG work. BTW I can remove "Name" in module view. "Name" is not a mandatory attribute in module View. Looks strange for me. Why mandatory in artifacts and collections context and not in module context? I have questions here.

1) What is desirable use case of Name? Is it for the summary of Primary Text?
2) The reason, why "Name" is not removable in View of Artifacts or Collection, is because it is regarded mandatory information to identify requirement and deserve being carefully managed by users?
3) Then why is it removable in View of Module?

I  know this might be tricky questions. I just want to understand behind principles of DNG use cases.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Jan 21 '16, 9:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If your artifacts tend to be larger documents, where most of the content is in the body, including tables, images, etc., then you should use the name field as a short descriptor of the content.  You could ignore the name field, in which case a name will be generated based on the initial content of the artifact, but it's less likely to be as descriptive as a name you provide.  (This usage is most analogous to creating documents on your PC/laptop). 

If your requirements are shorter text-only statements (e.g., The system must be able to operate in xyz conditions), then you're better off NOT specifying a name, and only specifying the content (primary text).  This is the primary usage for modules, and is why name isn't shown by default in modules.  In this usage, the auto-generated name based on the contents is likely to be adequate. 

You could use the module usage pattern without actually using a module.  E.g., put your relatively short requirements into the content of the artifacts, let the system generate names based on that (you aren't required to specify a name even in this usage), and use folders to organize the requirements.  In that case, it would be useful to be able to remove the Name field and only use the primary text field.  But our expectation is that most people using this pattern will use modules, because it also gives you ordering, hierarchy, headings, etc.

Hope that helps. 
Taemin(TM) KO selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Kirk Grotjohn commented Jan 21 '16, 9:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

That being said, if you feel it's important to be able to remove the Name field, you could open an enhancement request. 

Kirk Grotjohn commented Jan 21 '16, 9:30 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

That being said, if you feel it's important to be able to remove the Name field, you could open an enhancement request. 

Taemin(TM) KO commented Feb 10 '16, 1:16 a.m.

Thanks Kirk for your reply. It makes me to think over again which use case would be optimal for my clients.

One other answer

permanent link
Randolph Simmons (612) | answered Jan 20 '16, 11:27 a.m.
1) The Name attribute  Is it for the summary of Primary Text or short description of the artifact.
2. The reason, why "Name" is not removable in View of Artifacts or Collection, is because it is regarded mandatory information per my test.
3. The Name attribute is removable in View of Module because it is not mandatory information for these artifact types

Comments
Taemin(TM) KO commented Feb 10 '16, 1:15 a.m.

Thanks Randolph for your reply.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.