It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Passing values from children to parent workitem

Ramesh Kottapalli (111) | asked Jan 08 '16, 10:46 a.m.
 Hi, I have a field named "Health" which accepts values "Green, Yellow & Red". In my example we have an EPIC workitem and it is set as a 'Parent' to 3 userstory workitems. When any of the userstory workitem's health is changed to "Red", Is there a way we can change the Parent workitem's health field value to "Red" ? Can this be achived through "Calculated Value" field ?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 08 '16, 11:10 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I don't know how the parent work item should know that the value in the child work item changed to trigger a calculated value. In principle you could create a Java based Calculated value provider that looks at linked work items. Note: JavaScript does not work. See https://jazz.net/forum/questions/213678/accessing-child-workitem-attribute-in-dojo-acript-in-attribute-customization/213681

One valid way I am aware of is described in https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/rtc-update-parent-duration-estimation-and-effort-participant/ . you could use a similar logic to set the attribute at the parent(s) to red.

Comments
Ramesh Kottapalli commented Jan 12 '16, 12:02 p.m.

Thanks Ralph. I would try that. Does this work only for work items linked as parent-child ? Or should this work even if work items are linked as "Related" ?

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 13 '16, 2:09 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Related is just a different link type to follow. On the other hand you can introduce loops with related links and would have to make sure your extension does not recurse the server into oblivion.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.