It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migrating to RTC 2.0 from 1.x broke most of the reports

Kim Werner (6683) | asked Aug 04 '09, 12:55 a.m.
I wanted to take advantage of the new virtual Task dashboard available in the 2.0 Scrum process template so I recently migrated to version of RTC 2.0 standard on a windows platform using a small derby database. All of the RTC 1.x project areas were using the 1.x Scrum process template. I installed the RTC 2 client and a separate Jazz 2.0 server instance under different packages and folders so that they could be isolated. I exported the Jazz 1.x repository and then navigated to the 2.0 repository and imported it. During the import the following errors occurred:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Running post import for "com.ibm.team.dashboard" component...
Unable to locate report parameters map for report id: workitems.MicroStoryPointsByIteration
Unable to locate report parameters map for report id: workitems.MicroStoryPointsByIteration
----------------------------------------------------------------

Other than the above, the migration indicated success. Now however, when I go to the prior Scrum projects, most of the reports no longer work. The reports in question are all around iterations, story points, burndowns, velocity, etc. grouped by iteration. All of these reports appear to be blank or "nothing to display". When I tried to edit the report parameters, I am unable to choose a team area (there are none shown to select from) or modify any other parameters. That could be why the reports are all blank but why wouldn't it at least show the team areas?

Thinking the report templates were bad, I navigated to the com.ibm.team.examples.reports.common folder of the Installation manager shared directory and chose the option to update the report templates (selecting all). Still was not able to successfully run any of the prior workitem reports.

I'm at a complete loss here and don't know what to do to resolve this problem.

13 answers

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Aug 07 '09, 7:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
One of the Planning guys should answer the question. I would suggest you create a new forum post to grab their attention.

permanent link
Kim Werner (6683) | answered Aug 06 '09, 11:30 p.m.
I think we are getting there.
If the comlexity attribute is not set, the reports will be blank.
I see the complexity attribute under:
Project Configuration/Configuration Data/Planning/Plan Attributes

Ok definitely getting closer. Under the higher level "Planning" I see a number of items listed as "unconfigured". They are:
    Plan attributes
    Plan items
    Plan mode
    Plan Modes
    Plan Scripts
    Plan Types

Under Plan attributes, setting the following:
    attribute = Story Points
    Ranking = Priority

Making these changes above made the velocity and story point reports work. Great. Thank you all tons for that.

Should I worry about the other 5 unconfigured items under Planning? If so, what should they be?

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Aug 06 '09, 9:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I think we are getting there.
If the comlexity attribute is not set, the reports will be blank.
I see the complexity attribute under:
Project Configuration/Configuration Data/Planning/Plan Attributes

permanent link
Kim Werner (6683) | answered Aug 06 '09, 6:35 p.m.
Did you configure your top level work item types and complexity attribute?

Top Level Plan Item Types for the Project area = Story.

I can't seem to find any reference to the Complexity Attribute. According to a JAzz.net article, I should find that in Project Configuration\Configuration Data\Iteration Plans\Work Item Complexity Attribute.
However, when I search at the project area, I do not have a folder structure called "Iteration Plans" under Configuration Data. Instead I just have Dashboards, Planning, Work Items, (Work Items Advanced).
Could that be the issue or is there another location in the tree structure that it is supposed to be in?

After you setup those, try to disable the caching for one of the report templates that is not working? You can do that by opening the properties editor of the report template and unchecking the "Supports data caching" check box. For performance reasons, all reports get cached until the next data collection task finishes running. Also try displaying the report by double clicking the Report Template instead of the Report.

I looked at the report templates and Data cashing is not set.

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Aug 06 '09, 6:31 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Now if you feel really brave and still have doubts that some of the report template are old, you could do the following:

1) Set your team artifacts navigator filter to display data from all team areas including the archived ones.
2) Select all the report templates and delete them.
3) Right click the Report Templates node and do "Deploy New Templates".
4) Try deploying the Report Templates to the project area as opposed to some team area.
5) The above will deploy all the latest shared report templates and your private report templates. It will not delete the private non-shared templates for the other users.

The catch is that the above will delete all the reports that were created out of the old templates. So some of your co-workers may give you some nasty looks :-)

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Aug 06 '09, 5:49 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Did you configure your top level work item types and complexity attribute?

After you setup those, try to disable the caching for one of the report templates that is not working? You can do that by opening the properties editor of the report template and unchecking the "Supports data caching" check box. For performance reasons, all reports get cached until the next data collection task finishes running. Also try displaying the report by double clicking the Report Template instead of the Report.

The Sprint Burndown report is not Story point based. It is actually "Hours of Work" based.

permanent link
Kim Werner (6683) | answered Aug 06 '09, 4:38 p.m.
This is just due to a change in the way the dashboard reports are
configured. If you click the "Edit" button next to the "Query" label
you'll see all of the parameters for the report that you are expecting.
We re-structured things so that you get the same parameter UI for
dashboard reports as you do for regular reports.

I think Rafik addressed this in the other post in this thread.

james
RTC Reports Team Lead

James and Rafik, thank you for your replies, however the problem is not resolved. I have found that the following reports do not work:
- Team velocity (based on closed stories by iteration)
- Story Points
- Story Points by Iteration (new one)

I have used James' suggestion to edit the query and specify the Team Area and iterations but the reports still come up as blank. This is rather funny because the Sprint Burndown - which is also story points based, works fine.

I can say, without a doubt that I will find closed stories if the query includes past sprint iterations.

So I thought that perhaps during the import from 1.x that it is somehow using the report templates from 1.x which may have a schema or compatibility concern. Using the thick client, I selected the report templates folder and chose to Deploy New Templates for a single project area. I selectively only chose the ones listed above. Unfortunately it failed miserably tell me that each report matched multiple report templates and I'm just not certain how to correct that. Perhaps that is a red herring and this is not even related but it makes sense that RTC is confused and doesn't know how or what to run.

Should I do a search on *.rptdesign from the root my of drive and wherever I find a dup (assuming there are) delete the older file? Shouldn't there some RTC variable to set to only have it look or pull from one spot to avoid this?

permanent link
James Moody (3.3k24) | answered Aug 05 '09, 3:39 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
On 8/4/2009 10:22 PM, kwerner wrote:
Thanks. I did find that. Does the data collection do it one per
Project or once for the entire Jazz server (All project areas). I
would guess it is per project.

The data collection runs once for all project areas, you don't need to
run the action for each project area.

I'm still having difficulty with any reports involving Story points. I
looked at the Reports in V1.x and compared to 2.x using the process
configuration for the Dashboard templates. I noticed that for the
report "Story Points by Iteration" there are differences
when you compare the preferences.

In v1.x the preferences - assume to mean parms are:
- Report Type: workitems.MicroStoryPointsByIteration
- Team Area:<<all
- Iteration:<<all> this is new and is blank with an asterisk
meaning required
- No Results message: --> also new and blank but not required

What happened to the "Team Area" and "Iteration"?
Isn't this a standard report?

This is just due to a change in the way the dashboard reports are
configured. If you click the "Edit" button next to the "Query" label
you'll see all of the parameters for the report that you are expecting.
We re-structured things so that you get the same parameter UI for
dashboard reports as you do for regular reports.

During my import, repotools complained about
workitemsMicroStoryPointsByIteration having lost it's report
parameters map. I have no idea what that means but since this report
seems based upon it, that seems to be the culprit. Any idea how to
fix?

I think Rafik addressed this in the other post in this thread.

james
RTC Reports Team Lead

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Aug 05 '09, 11:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
During 2.0, we renamed Story points by Iteration to Team Velocity. Story Points by Iterations now shows all stoiry points as opposed to just the closed ones. We decided not to migrate the Story points by Iteration viewlets to avoid confusing users. So please try to recreate your viewlet using the Team Velocity report. This is the only place where we did such thing and we really did it to be more Scrum friendly. Promise we won't do this in the future :)

permanent link
Kim Werner (6683) | answered Aug 04 '09, 10:21 p.m.
Thanks. I did find that. Does the data collection do it one per Project or once for the entire Jazz server (All project areas). I would guess it is per project.

I'm still having difficulty with any reports involving Story points. I looked at the Reports in V1.x and compared to 2.x using the process configuration for the Dashboard templates. I noticed that for the report "Story Points by Iteration" there are differences when you compare the preferences.

In v1.x the preferences - assume to mean parms are:
- Report Type: workitems.MicroStoryPointsByIteration
- Team Area: <<all>>
- Iteration: <<all>>

However in v2 the preferences show something different:
- Report ID: workitems.MicroStoryPointsByIteration
- Query: --> this is new and is blank with an asterisk meaning required
- No Results message: --> also new and blank but not required

What happened to the "Team Area" and "Iteration"? Isn't this a standard report?

During my import, repotools complained about workitemsMicroStoryPointsByIteration having lost it's report parameters map. I have no idea what that means but since this report seems based upon it, that seems to be the culprit. Any idea how to fix?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.