It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why is there no indication that a chapter is fold when a view is applied?

Christian Winkler (1321623) | asked Jan 04 '16, 6:37 a.m.
Hello!

I don't know if this is a defect or a desired behavior and if it was already reported (I couldn't find).
I observed in DNG 5.0.2 and 6.0.1.
When I apply a filter for an attribute, the hierarchy of a module gets lost. But when I fold in a chapter before, the chapter will not be unfold when applying the filter. And there is no indication, that there is some content "inside".

I think that is very dangerous, when it is not shown that there is something "fold away".

Is it a desired behavior, that nothing is shown?
Or do I ignore something?

Thanks!

3 answers

permanent link
Martin Vellinger (11) | answered Nov 23 '21, 9:10 a.m.
We would also really appreciate if one couldin a view / with filtered content fold the chapters in and out.

Kirk mentioned work on an enhancement some time ago - would it cover our concern and is this already available? With which version?

Thanks in advance!

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 23 '21, 9:33 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

These questions are over 5 years old. It is usually pointless to answer someone elses question with your own question, especially if it is that old.

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Jan 06 '16, 1:31 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I think I'm not fully understanding, or maybe the behavior is changed (I'm looking at a very recent build).  But it looks to me like the folded (collapsed) state of a heading has no effect on how it's displayed when you filter, since filtering displays a flattened list (as mentioned above). 
That is, if I collapse a section so I'm only seeing the heading, when I filter the module, it will show the heading and any children (assuming they match the filter), and the heading is not collapsed. 

On a side note, there is an open enhancement to try to show the hierarchy when filtering. 

Comments
Christian Winkler commented Jan 07 '16, 4:39 a.m.

I try to explain my problem again.
I think that there shouldn't be a dependency between collapsing a chapter and filtering. I think these actions are on the same "level", but JAZZ treats collapsing as a "higher level action".

You will get different results depending on the order of actions. Compare what you see:
- Collapsing a chapter and filtering
- Filtering (collapsing is not possible anymore)
--> There should at least be some hint or symbol that matching artifacts are invisible due to collapsed chapter. I think this is really dangerous, because one might "forget" that a chapter was collapsed and the content is not shown.

Or maybe I am too critical...

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Jan 04 '16, 7:38 p.m.
I think it is by design. When you apply a filter, the resulted requirements are displayed in a "flat" format. It is quite difficult to maintain a "hierarchy" view if some middle tiers are filtered out, isn't it? If you fold/collapse a chapter/level, it means that you are not interested in the content inside, then why do you want the content to be shown after filtering? If you look at the "showing ## of ## artifacts" message at the bottom, the number does match what is being displayed, whether you collapse a level or not - so I believe this is intended by design.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.