It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

While downloading reports in JRS the numeric fields are downloaded as text. Can this be eradicated?

Dhanya Saseendran (8831421) | asked Dec 29 '15, 10:09 p.m.
Hi,
I have some numeric/decimal field like FTE savings in my report. But when downloaded to excel, they are stored as text fields. Because of which the pivots that I have created are not working.
Please help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks
Dhanya

One answer

permanent link
Kevin Cornell (5411) | answered Jan 04 '16, 9:49 a.m.
The report data passed from JRS to Excel for a live query is in XML format. When I implemented the export of the XML data for Excel I tried to include formatting (such as creating a hyperlink for the resource name/URI in Excel) but I could not find a way to make it work. Excel only seems to store text values when parsing the XML data.

However, there are several things you might try (I am not an Excel expert so these may not work)

1) In the Query Results tab, after updating the results, select the column and change its type to numeric.

2) In a different tab create a numeric column that extracts the (text) values from the Query Results table using the =VALUE() function to convert the values to numbers. Then have your pivot table use this numeric column instead.

Comments
Dhanya Saseendran commented Jan 17 '16, 10:38 p.m.

Hi Kevin,
Thanks we are doing the steps that you mentioned. But It would have been good if we get the numeric values as numeric itself..

Thanks
Dhanya

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.