It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migrate PVCS to RTC

Kushagra Joshi (111) | asked Dec 15 '15, 11:41 a.m.
edited Dec 15 '15, 1:22 p.m.

Does RTC/Jazz provide any feature to migrate all PVCS files to RTC/Jazz repository? Along with the files, I'd also like to migrate all the previous revisions of those PVCS files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments
Kushagra Joshi commented Dec 15 '15, 1:26 p.m. | edited Jan 18 '16, 6:37 p.m.

Thank you Sam. I will dig into more the two step approach.

Thanks Ralph for your insight. Since my company decided to decommission PVCS, we are looking to migrate the revisions too.

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 15 '15, 12:33 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am not a fan of bringing the whole history over. Since the systems operate by very different approaches the results can be surprising. A better way from my perspective is to keep the old history in the old tool, migrate some baselines and restructure.

Keep the old system available for reference but gradually reduce accessibility to the old system. If no one complains about wanting to see the history any longer, backup and mothball the old system if needed.

Otherwise Sam's suggestion is one approach. another is to use the SCM commandline or some other API based tools to do this.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Dec 15 '15, 12:11 p.m.
I think you wold have to do a two step approach..

PVCS to SVN, SVN to RTC.

I found at least one PVCS to SVN migration tool, never done it, not recommending the tool, just a quick search

https://www.polarion.com/products/svn/svn_importer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.