It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Plan to list Release at the Timeline level

John S F Lander (901941) | asked Dec 15 '15, 8:03 a.m.
edited Dec 15 '15, 8:40 a.m.
As I understand, RTC does not allow the Timeline to be selected for the Iteration in the Plan
Main Dev[Project timelline]
         > Release 1.0
         > Release 5.0
         > Release 6.0

So not able to select Main Development
The above is a simple set up for this forum, the PA in question has many Releases and Iterations

The reason is that we want the Plan to show all Release under a Timeline

If there had been another Iteration level between Main Dev Timeline and Release 1 then the could be pointed to that and it should show what we want
Main Dev[Project timelline]
         > Main Dev
             > Release 1.0
             > Release 5.0
             > Release 6.0

Main Dev

1/ Is there a way to show in a Plan the Releases under a Timeline
2/ If we put in the additional Iteration in as above what impact on already created Plans and WIs

Any pointers would be appreciated
Thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Dec 22 '15, 12:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
(1) You are correct that a plan is for an iteration, not a timeline, so there is no way to show all top level timelines in a plan.   When I want to do that, I use the workaround that you describe.
(2) Existing plans and work items will continue to work properly, because the reference to an iteration is via its ID, which is not affected by moving it under a different parent iteration/timeline.
John S F Lander selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
John S F Lander commented Dec 23 '15, 5:01 a.m.

Thats good to confirm my assumptions.

Id the Iteration ids were changed to conform to new standards, what would happen to existing WIs both with regard to online queries and Plans and Datawarehouse

Geoffrey Clemm commented Dec 23 '15, 11:58 p.m.

I personally would probably be nervous about changing the ID's.  I did a quick check, and updating the ID appears to update references from work items.  I'd guess the same is true for existing queries and plans.  But if I had to guess, I'd guess that data warehouse reports have a high probability of being broken.  But to emphasize, those are just guesses on my part.

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 15 '15, 11:31 a.m.
edited Dec 15 '15, 11:32 a.m.
Yes that is possible.
I don't know what would happen with already created work items and plans.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.