It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can't revert Owned By to Unassigned

Colleen Lhota (111) | asked Dec 14 '15, 5:58 p.m.
edited Dec 15 '15, 7:57 a.m.
When a work item is initially created, the Owned By field is set to Unassigned.  But once we change it to a person, we can't change it back to Unassigned using the Web UI -- it's not a choice for the Owned By field.  We can revert it to Unassigned via Eclipse.  Any idea why we can't do it in the Web UI?

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Dec 15 '15, 8:26 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have definitely been able to do that in all UI's and in various versions. Which version? Do you have set the owner to required maybe?

Comments
Colleen Lhota commented Dec 15 '15, 10:56 a.m.

We had this problem in RTC V5 and still have it now on V6.  I don't think Owned By is required, since I can set it to Unassigned in Eclipse.  My current theory is that it has to do with Unassigned not being a member of the team area.

Ralph Schoon commented Dec 15 '15, 11:08 a.m.

Unassigned is a unique user ID that is in the code. You might want to check with support, what is happening.

permanent link
Colleen Lhota (111) | answered Dec 15 '15, 1:39 p.m.
edited Dec 15 '15, 4:10 p.m.
I fixed it, kind of.  I figured out which Team Area was being used (which people didn't have yellow triangles) and added Unassigned to that team area (with a role).  Now that I did that, Unassigned is a choice in the Web UI, yay!  The Team Area associations are still messed up.  But that problem will have to wait for another day :)

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Dec 16 '15, 2:25 a.m.

I have never, ever, ever seen a user "unassigned" in the user list of any system I have worked with in the user administration section or in any of the pick lists to ad them to a team area or project area.

You must have done something to your system that has overwritten or created a new unassigned user. I would reach out to support to try to figure out if this an be reset somehow.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Dec 23 '15, 12:23 a.m.

Like Ralph, I have always been able to use the WebUI to change the owner back to Unassigned.   Creating a team member whose user ID is "Unassigned" is definitely not a good idea ... it will produce significant confusion, especially in your queries and reports.  I agree with Ralph that you should work with support to figure out what is going wrong in your environment.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.