It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In RTC how can I set the "Planned for" attribute based on the value of the "Type" attribute?

Ian Cuttriss (155) | asked Dec 09 '15, 8:43 a.m.
edited Dec 09 '15, 9:35 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)
I am working with a client and we would like to set the "Planned for" attribute to a specific iteration based on the value of the "Type" attribute. For example if the "Type" attribute is "Risk" then we would want to default "Planned for" to "RAID Management". We are using RTC version 4.0.5. I have looked at "Value Sets" but have reached the conclusion that this will not work. Any advice / guidance would be most appreciated.

3 answers

permanent link
Abhishek Kumar (49722) | answered Dec 09 '15, 9:14 a.m.
 Hi Ian,

You could use a script based calculated value to solve your problem:

for reference: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/rational-team-concert-calculated-fields-work-item/

Hope this helps :)
Thanks,
Abhishek

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 09 '15, 9:17 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Dec 09 '15, 9:29 a.m.
I am not sure what you gain from that and I am pretty sure it will not be as easy as soon as you have more than one iteration cycle.

Anyway. Attribute customization is across all work items that have the attribute. For attribute customization the only chance would be trying to use a JavaScript based default value as JavaScript allows you to potentially see and react to the work item type. That could look at the type and return the iteration UUID. A calculated value always calculates, so that is not very useful. In JavaScript you have no chance to look up iterations, see the limitations Attribute customization or in Process Enactment Workshop for the Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management so you are pretty limited in what you can do.

You can use Java for Attribute customization and the API provides you with a little more choices. The limitations are then this API and how attribute customization providers work. See an example here: Attribute Customization – Java Based Value Providers, Conditions and Validators  

My choice would be a work item save (server) follow up action / participant if I wanted to do anything like that, because that gives you the complete API and the most control about what happens. Here an example as entry point A Create Approval Work Item Save Participant. The blog also has examples how to access timelines and iterations.

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813574) | answered Dec 09 '15, 9:20 a.m.

Ian,

Rather than looking into a way to do this within a Work Item;

Why not set up a plan view and then you will be able to create the Work items agains the correct Planned for.

Just a thought.

Regards

Matt

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.