It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I automatically calculate a value for an attribute?

James Selley (111) | asked Dec 09 '15, 7:13 a.m.
I am using RTC for a Risk log.

I currently have 3 risk attributes (impact, cost and time) which are scored 1-5 for severity and an attribute for the likelihood that the risk will occur (again scored 1-5)

How can I create an attribute which will automatically provide an overall score? Ideally this would be: the average of the 3 risk attributes multiplied by the likelihood score: ( (impact value + cost value + time value)/3 )*likelihood value.

Thanks in advance.
James

Comments
Susan Hanson commented Dec 09 '15, 8:38 a.m.

In my 502 Eclipse client, I go under Configuration Data -> Work Items -> Attribute Customization and then there is the option for "Calculated Values" in the list.

2 answers

permanent link
Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | answered Dec 09 '15, 7:20 a.m.
Have you looked at using calculated Values?  About 1/2 way down in this article (https://jazz.net/library/article/1003) it talks about calculating the Age using JavaScript. 

S

Comments
James Selley commented Dec 09 '15, 8:16 a.m.

Thanks for the prompt response. I think you're correct in that I need to use calculated values however I can't find this option! I may be missing something obvious but I can't find the options 'configuration data' or 'attribute customization' to start the process.

I am an admin on the project and using 5.0.2.

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Dec 09 '15, 7:25 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi James,

have you explored
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/AttributeCustomization#Script_based_calculated_values

there are a few script samples which calculate and return a value to the applied attribute based on certain other attributes.
These other attributes are referred to in the dependent attributes section, so any change in their value results in recalculations.

As i see, you have 4 enumeration attributes and they decide the value on the overall score attribute.
So, you would write a Calculated Value script and apply it on OverallScore attribute.
The script would read the values from other enum attributes and compute/calculate the return value.
The other attributes would be selected under the dependent attributes section of OverallScore attribute.

You could use the samples in the link above for reading values and computing the results.

hope this helps

Comments
James Selley commented Dec 09 '15, 8:16 a.m.

Thanks for the prompt response. I think you're correct in that I need to use calculated values however I can't find this option! I may be missing something obvious but I can't find the options 'configuration data' or 'attribute customization' to start the process.

I am an admin on the project and using 5.0.2.

Kevin Ramer commented Dec 09 '15, 10:41 a.m.

In the Eclipse Client, right click the project name in the Team Artifacts or Team Hierarchy view, choose open.  A new pane with tabs across the bottom will be opened.  Go to the Process Configuration tab.  Expand Project Configuration, then Configuration Data then Work Items which will reveal other sections, Attribute Customization among them.

sam detweiler commented Dec 09 '15, 12:46 p.m.

are these extensions available for the formal project mgmt template projects?

Dinesh Kumar B commented Dec 10 '15, 2:37 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

yes Sam, I do find that configuration area does not change with the template. 

i did a quick check creating a script based calculated value that reads the state of the work item and prints it to a small string attribute and it worked fine...

Dinesh Kumar B commented Dec 10 '15, 2:44 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

hi James, here is a screen shot to take you to that section where customizations are defined...

Reaching the customizations section in Eclipse Client

I would recommend going through :
    https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/AttributeCustomization
in depth, this would be very helpful for your future customization needs.

hope this answers

James Selley commented Dec 11 '15, 6:45 a.m.

Thanks all. I wasn't using Eclipse (first time using RTc) so was working out of my web browser. HAve downloaded eclipse and making some progress now.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.