It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to publish the Customized Advanced burndown out of the box BIRT report and re-publish to the Master Project

Raj K (10222125) | asked Nov 30 '15, 2:41 p.m.

Hello,

I have customized two out of the box Advanced Burndown Report (Micro & regular).

*  I modified the out of the box report in CCM 4.0.5 (by pulling it out of the com.ibm.team.examples.reports.common_3.1.500.v20131025_0102.jar) and overwrote the report file in the jar file and re-deployed it successfully.

Now there is a need to keep the out of the box report separate from out of the box reports (e.g.. like creating the custom reports into a separate jar file) and deploy it (to existing and future Master Projects and to Child Projects). Can someone help with the steps involved please.

* How do I add it to the existing Master Project (we have a Master and Child Project setup).

* When I directly add the reportDesign file as a report resource where is the report file stored?  In the DB? How can I make new reports added to the process template? ( I am assuming using the custom report jar). Would like to understand the structure inside the Jar file and setting the dependency (when I click on the "Advanced Burndown chart" Widget title it takes it to the regular "Advanced Burndown chart" ).

Thanks

RK

2 answers

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Dec 02 '15, 10:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The best way to manage custom reports is the following:
1) Never modify the out of the box reports. Instead, you should clone them and publish the custom report using a new identifier.
2) Publish all the custom reports to some chosen project area.
3) Use "Deploy New Resources" Action from the "Report Resources" page in the web UI to propagate the custom reports to other project areas. The page will let you import reports from other project areas. The imported reports will be automatically synched when the original copy created in step 2 changes.

Comments
Raj K commented Dec 03 '15, 4:28 a.m.

Hi Rafik,
   Thanks for the response. I have duplicated the JAR file com.ibm.team.examples.reports.common_3.1.500.v20131025_0102.jar  with a different name ( com.ibm.team.custom.reports.common_1.0.000.v20151201_0102.jar) and removed all the reports and added  the "Custom Micro Advanced Burndown" and "Custom Advanced Burndown" report files to the JAR. After CCM Server reset I don't see the new report package in the list of report resource to deploy". I would like to understand the JAR/ package structure (Micro, local, live, META-INF, shared, cross project folders and plugin.xml, plugin.properties, reports.map etc).

Also I have question on how to create / make the report show up in a dashboard widget.

If I copy the Burndown I would like to understand the link between the Micro & Regular link so that clicking the widget can take it to the General report (eg. When I click on the title of the widget of Micro Advanced Burndown it opens the Advanced Burndown - assuming passing on the parameters).

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
RK

Raj K commented Dec 03 '15, 4:38 a.m. | edited Dec 03 '15, 4:43 a.m.

Created a New JAR and trying to deploy using ServerReset and restart CCM Continued...

I would like to understand the marked sections.
Other scenarios: 1) if there are one report passing on the parameters to another report  on click (like a BIRT).
2) Micro report passing on the parameters to the the Main report and taking it to the Main report in the widget.

I couldn't find enough documentation. I saw a little  about Micro report, but was not enough to get the widget done.

Thanks Creating a New resource for a new report Expanding com.ibm.team.examples.reports.common_3.1.500.v20131025_0102.jar

Rafik Jaouani commented Dec 03 '15, 1:59 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Raj, I do not think you should add plugins to the server. Plugins need to be listed in features and we do not officially support this kind of extensibility. For deploying new reports, you should use the reporting Web UI.
Regrading navigation from a micro report to a full size report, only the out of the box reports support such functionality.

Raj K commented Dec 03 '15, 5:59 p.m. | edited Dec 03 '15, 6:00 p.m.

Hi Rafik,

If I modify Advanced Burndown (by getting it out for the plugin file / jar file ) and deploy the resource as you suggested it is not able to find the shared.properties & shared.rptLibrary as it is looking for /shared/shared.properties & /shared/shared.rptLibrary and me attaching them doesn't make it dynamic text shows nothing as the STATIC VARIABLES are referring to  /shared/shared.properties.

Thanks

RK

Rafik Jaouani commented Dec 03 '15, 6:22 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The plugin contains a folder named shared which contains two files:
shared.rptlibrary and shared.properties
Make sure to also attach those two files to the report resource under: shared/shared.rptlibrary and shared/shared.properties

Raj K commented Dec 04 '15, 9:29 a.m.

Hi Rafik,
I am able to attach the files but not able force it in a shared directory.  How do I create a shared directory relative to where the report is deployed?  Where does these reportDesign files get saved? In the DB and deployed in the tomcat work directory?

Thanks
RK

Raj K commented Dec 04 '15, 11:10 a.m. | edited Dec 04 '15, 11:36 a.m.

Hi Rafik,

I got it working by changing the properties of the rptDesign properties to look in the same place where the report is deployed. Now how would I make this available for a dashboard widget? ( I also deployed a Micro version of the same by customizing the Micro Advanced Burndown). I did deploy the same way, but I don't see it to be picked in the Custom Widget.

Thanks
RK

Raj K commented Dec 08 '15, 1:38 p.m.

I have successfully added the report to the widget. My only question I am curious about is "Is the New Report Resource stored in the DB" ?

Rafik Jaouani commented Dec 09 '15, 10:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Raj, Yes the report resource is stored in the DB.

showing 5 of 9 show 4 more comments

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Nov 30 '15, 11:21 p.m.
Check out the "Upload the report to the Rational Team Concert server" section of the below article.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/10/creatingcustomreportswithbirtandrtc-part1/

Comments
Raj K commented Dec 02 '15, 10:23 a.m. | edited Dec 02 '15, 10:25 a.m.

Hi,

I have published a lot of new BIRT reports in CCM in the past. My question is more inline with modifying an out-of-the-box advanced burn-down report and publish it (it with the dependencies) as a new report (as packaged and deployed like com.ibm.team.examples.reports.common_3.1.500.v20131025_0102.jar ) and not having to add it to every child project (that consumes the process from a Master project). If you un-jar "com.ibm.team.examples.reports.common_3.1.500.v20131025_0102.jar" you will understand what I mean.

Thanks
RK

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.