It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Building a website in RTC 5.0.2

Muhammad Moid (141534) | asked Nov 23 '15, 4:29 a.m.
 Hi, 

I have build MS Visual studios desktop and web application from RTC by following below article:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/HowToUseJazzAntTasksForMicrosoftVisualStudioRTCBuilds

However, I want to build a website using above article now, but I am stuck on importing 'Commonproperties.xml' on project step under "Creating the Ant build XML file" section because in Websites there are no CSPROJ Files

What I have to do to build the website in RTC ?

One answer

permanent link
Zeeshan Choudhry (6541612) | answered Nov 23 '15, 6:45 a.m.
edited Nov 23 '15, 6:56 a.m.
Build definitions for Visual Studio can use msbuild or devenv compilers. So if you can build your website with msbuild.exe compiler than you can use RTC build definition also to build the same website.
Normally you can do it when you have a website created as a Visual Studio Project. In that case above article you posted can be used. 

Now if you also want to use Jazz Ant Tasks as the article main scope is then
you can try this approach instead of article approach. ( There are quite a few ways to do what you want to do)

You create a MS Build XML  file in which you are going to call Ant to use your Jazz Ant tasks to do what ever you want using those  tasks.

example:

<Project xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <Target Name="Build">
    <Exec Command="CALL ant -f $(fetchDestination)\build.xml -lib $(BuildToolKit) -DuserId=$(BUILD_USER_ID) -Dpassword=$(BUILD_PASS) -DrepositoryAddress=$(REPOSITORY_ADDRESS) -DbuildResultUUID=$(BUILD_UUID) target_Name"/>
  </Target>
</Project> 

Above the ANT target your are building is the <target Name> which is defined in the build.xml
Substitute <target Name> with the target that actually exists in your ANT build.xml which you want to execute.

Share this MS XML file in RTC.

Now in Build definition you can call msbuild.exe on how ever you want to build your website and then in the same Build definition second call you make to the above MS XML which will call Ant so you can use Jazz Ant Tasks.

If you can not build your website with msbuild.exe then probably you are better off using a command line Build definition and then execute what ever you want to build your website and then call ant to use jazz ant tasks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.