It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do you make RTC's work item automatically validate its data entry?

Jasmine Chen (1315) | asked Nov 12 '15, 6:46 p.m.
edited Nov 13 '15, 12:02 a.m. by Lisa Frankel (5462)
Is there any way to make RTC automatically validate its data entry?

E.g. The data entry on RTC must start with "AI" followed by five numbers. If not, an error message on RTC will appear.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | answered Nov 12 '15, 7:06 p.m.
RTC has a set of validation options, some built-in, some semi-built-in, and some you have to write.

RTC has several "built-in" which can be added as Preconditions using Operational Behaviors (Under Team Configuration).  These include marking something as required.  Make sure you also include "Attribute Validation" or it will only show errors and not block saving.

Next, look under Project Configuration -> Work Items -> Attribute Customization.  There is an option for Validators and there are a set of built-in providers:  Decimal Range, Number Range, Regular Expression, and Script-based.  For the APAR #, you could use Regular Expression and validiate it that way.  Script-based allows you to write a javascript which can use a set of javascript APIs to look at the values of the attributes and specify and error if the script determines a problem.

After that, you can go down to a Server-Side plugin which can do validation, which are written in Java and would be used if you the validation is more complex than what can be done in the first 2.

Susan

Jasmine Chen selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jasmine Chen commented Nov 13 '15, 1:39 p.m.

Hi Susan, thank you for your response.
I've included the "Attribute Validation". But I'm not seeing Attribute Customization under my Work Items.  Do you know how I can view Attribute Customization, or is that something I need to add on? And would I need to request access from my DevIT group?

Susan Hanson commented Nov 13 '15, 1:56 p.m.

Are you using web client or an eclipse client?  The eclipse client should have it under Work Items.  I don't see it there in the web client nor do I know exactly where it is in the web client.  Perhaps someone else who is more familiar with project admin in the web client can give you a pointer.

sam detweiler commented Nov 13 '15, 4:48 p.m.

I don't think the admin of Validations is implemented on the web UI yet.

Jasmine Chen commented Nov 20 '15, 1:47 p.m.

Thank you - I finally configured the automatic validators into RTC, using eclipse and web client. But I'm receiving a error message that states the error twice. Is there any way to make the error message not repeated?

One other answer

permanent link
Lisa Frankel (5462) | answered Nov 13 '15, 12:01 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Also see the Knowledge Center topic Configuring a regular expression validator.

Comments
Jasmine Chen commented Nov 20 '15, 1:53 p.m.

Thank you, the page helped a lot.
Just one criticism - the instructions should state that you can bubble in "Reuse Existing Attribute" if attribute is already created.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.