It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the best way to give some users access to workitems only in a project area?

Martin McAuley (1721533) | asked Nov 12 '15, 3:48 a.m.
We have a project area where all users are members of the project i.e. there are no teams. We wish to grant some new users access to work items in the project area but not visibility of the source code, including via changesets in the work items. What is the best way to achieve this?

One answer

permanent link
Michele Pegoraro (1.8k14118103) | answered Nov 12 '15, 5:01 a.m.
edited Nov 12 '15, 5:02 a.m.
I don't think you can achieve it easily this with the users organization you have. Components visibility (and so source code visibility) depends on the owner of the component (that could be a project area or a team area). The only way I see is that you create a team area that membered all the users that needs to view source code and then change the ownership of the components to this team area, restricting the visibility (it is a flag that must be enabled when you change component ownership).

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 12 '15, 5:05 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Another option is to move the source code completely out of the project area. Create another one that is limited to the members and put the members that should have access to the source there. Keep the other project area for work items only. This is how the RTC Development Team does it as far as I know.

Martin McAuley commented Nov 12 '15, 5:30 a.m.

Thanks for the replies, however the project area is well established with both source code and work items present and we need to give another group visibility of the work items only.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 13 '15, 1:33 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I wouldn't use the term "move" when setting the ownership field of a component.   The ownership field is just used for access control ... so if you want to change the access control on a component (which you do), then you are going to have to change the ownership field on that component.   On the other hand, the owner field of a work item is for more than access control ... it is also for the schema, editor, categories, etc. for that work item.   So in your situation, where you want different access control for work items and for components, your simplest approach is to follow Michele and Ralph's advice ... create a team area or project area whose sole purpose is to define the access control list for components, and set the ownership field of the components to be that new team area or project area.  Starting in 6.0.1, you'll be able to specify an access control group for a component, which will be a more intuitive way of achieving the same result.

Martin McAuley commented Nov 23 '15, 5:29 a.m.

ok thanks/

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.