It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Find sandbox associated to repository workspace

Steffen Schramm (1114) | asked Nov 09 '15, 5:09 a.m.
Hello,

is there any option in Eclipse to find out which Sandbox is related to which Repository Workspace?
When opening a Repository Workspace, you cannot see the Sandbox used. And when looking at the list of Sandboxes in the Preferences, you cannot see which Workspaces are using this Sandbox. Also in the Pending Changes you cannot see the connection between the two.

Steffen

Accepted answer

permanent link
Carlos S (471713) | answered Nov 09 '15, 9:16 a.m.
 Maybe this helps: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/62609/how-do-i-know-the-physical-location-of-the-sandbox
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Steffen Schramm commented Nov 10 '15, 2:54 a.m. | edited Nov 10 '15, 2:54 a.m.

Indeed. Hovering about the component icon in the Pending changes and pressing F2 provides this information
Thx, Carlos

3 other answers

permanent link
Geoff Binns (30424) | answered Oct 01 '18, 11:38 a.m.

The Pending Changes view with F2 is fine but a bit obscure.

What our Users want is a menu option in the RWS->Show->Location of Sandbox.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Oct 01 '18, 11:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Geoff Binns commented Oct 02 '18, 4:14 a.m.

An enhancement request has been created. By all means vote for it.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=125455

permanent link
Steffen Schramm (1114) | answered Nov 09 '15, 7:39 a.m.
Hello Ralph,

thanks for taking the time, but it does not really answer my question. Maybe I was not clear enough.
Under the Sandboxes preference page you can see your Sandboxes. I personally do not use the Eclipse workspace, Instead I use separate Sandboxes, and I have multiple of them.

But what you cannot see is which Repository Workspace is loaded into these Sandboxes. For example I might have 3 RWS loaded into one Sandbox, and a 4th RWS which is loaded into another Sandbox. Under pending changes I can see my 4 RWS and the 4 connected streams, but I cannot see which Sandbox is used by a RWS.

I would like to be able to find out:
- For a RWS, in which sandbox is it loaded?
- For a Sandbox, which RWS are loaded into it?

It seems very difficult to find this out in Eclipse. Does this mean that the RTC plugin for Eclipse is designed to use only one Sandbox?

By the way, I have also other questions related to this, e.g. whether it is a good idea to load the same RWS on multiple machines, or if each computer should have its own RWS for a Stream.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 09 '15, 8:15 a.m.

I can answer your last question and the answer is: NO.
The reason behind that is, that if you load the same workspace in multiple locations and do a change in one location, the workspace will  be out of sync in the other location. You should use a stream and separate workspaces instead, which also allows you to better detect and integrate changes in multiple locations.

I can't answer the other question really. I almost exclusively use my Eclipse workspace to load into. I have used loading multiple repository workspaces that don't overlap, but because I use the Eclipse workspace, that is not a problem. So I don't have much experience with your scenario. Sorry.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 09 '15, 8:16 a.m.

I have worked with multiple Eclipse workspaces and then this is also manageable. this would be similar to multiple sandboxes. You have to keep track of where the workspaces are. I use a common root folder and naming to do that.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Nov 09 '15, 5:46 a.m.
Steffen,

try Windows>Preferences and type in Sandbox, then use the Sandboxes preference page. Hope this provides you with the information.

In Eclipse, by default, the Eclipse Workspace is the Sandbox used. Unless you use advanced loading option this should always be the case.

You can add -showlocation in the Eclipse shortcut to show that in the Window header.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.