It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Time Tracking with Scrum Process template ( Kanban)

Eamon Horkan (21216) | asked Nov 04 '15, 10:46 a.m.
retagged Jan 26 '16, 10:06 a.m. by Patricia Der (5011)
 Hi , 

We have implemented RTC 5.0.2 and are using Kanban to manage day to day. 
The team are happy with the tool, to complete our desired use case we want to also track time. 
As a Cloud Operations team we need to track hours consumed on tasks . I am aware there 
is a time tracking tab available in the formal process template, unfortunately it is not available in the 
Scrum process template. Can anyone advise on report or a technique to track time on tasks  for team that
operate in the scrum process template. 

Thanks ! 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Nov 04 '15, 11:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Nov 04 '15, 11:13 a.m.
Please see: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.jazz.platform.doc/topics/t_customize_template_formal_features.html

Option 4. Sorry, wrong link in the cut buffer the first time around.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Eamon Horkan commented Nov 05 '15, 7:03 a.m. | edited Nov 05 '15, 7:40 a.m.

Hi Ralph , 

Thank you for the direction , I was successful in implementing the change to get the "Time Spent" field to
appear at the work item task level screen. My only blocker now its to get the time codes to appear. I have 
added the time code names in Process Configuration screen but they do not appear anywhere for selection. 
Can you advise  ? 

Best Regards, 

Eamonn 

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 05 '15, 7:44 a.m. | edited Nov 05 '15, 7:44 a.m.

The time codes can be entered on the new Timesheet tab that you add to the work item editor presentation.

PS: if you sync time spent with the time codes, you can't enter them in time spent any more.

6 other answers

permanent link
Eamon Horkan (21216) | answered Nov 05 '15, 10:17 a.m.
Thanks Ralph ,

I am struggling with adding the time sheet tab in the work item editor ,  I cant really find basic instruction on how
to set this up properly , I took a risk in adding a tab in the Editor Presentation - time tracking ( using the eclipse client),
I most likely missed a step,  the timesheet tab did appear in the web-client work item - task level , but it was not responsive / empty when I clicked on it. Now it does not appear at all.  Essentially I want to have time code to track hours against where our IT Operations team can log hrs against timecodes like :
  • Network Setup
  • Security Setup
  • Software Install
  • Post Software Install Setup
  • Custom Config Setup
  • Integration Setup
  • Customer KT

I tried to attach some screen caps to assist  with the explanation , can you advise on the basic set up ? of time sheets and timecodes ?

Thanks

Eamonn

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 05 '15, 10:37 a.m. | edited Nov 05 '15, 10:41 a.m.

I once was able to find the instructions in the product help, follow it to enable the tool and add the Time Codes I wanted in the Eclipse client.

I would suggest you read the product help for your version. You can find a link to that on the download page for your version.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 05 '15, 10:50 a.m.

I can't really contribute more to this. It is not rocket science and there is information in the documentation. You can find more hints here: https://www.google.de/search?q=time+tracking+site:jazz.net

I think there was a report for time tracking, but I don't use it and don't know exactly.

permanent link
Eamon Horkan (21216) | answered Dec 02 '15, 9:06 a.m.
 Hi Ralph , 

I have the time tracking table tab enabled for task and defects in the scrum process. 
Its working well, but I am not able to see anyway of  joining Timesheet Time Code with Work Items. 
Time codes are not an attribute that I can run a query against. Therefore , I cannot aggregate in a query / report 
times codes associated with work items. Does this require BIRT ? 

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 03 '15, 3:39 a.m.
edited Dec 03 '15, 3:40 a.m.
https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/c_timetracking.html describes how time tracking works. The links at the end of that help describes how to synchronize the time tracking information in the time sheets with the time spent attribute, which makes it possible to query the effort on work items.

permanent link
Eamon Horkan (21216) | answered Dec 10 '15, 10:31 a.m.

Hi , I have synchronized the time tracking information in the  time sheets with the time spent attribute, which works with out issue. It retrieves effort spent on a work item level. This unfortunately does not pull back the vital relationship of effort expended against the Time Code,  which is key. Is it possible to have Time Code as conditions to be queried against ? 

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Dec 10 '15, 10:33 a.m.

Not from a work item as attribute. Only using the API: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/the-work-item-time-tracking-api/

permanent link
Eamon Horkan (21216) | answered Jan 25 '16, 12:49 p.m.
 Hi Ralph,  Do you know if any team or individual that has implemented this API in RTC in IBM . I need to get this working for my org , its getting critical from a financial perspective. Can you advise.  Thanks  

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 26 '16, 2:12 a.m.

I know that some customers have created their own Web UI and other tooling for this, using that API. I can't contribute any more than that.

permanent link
Isabel Torres (631038) | answered Aug 25 '16, 3:19 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thank you Ralph! Great Answers, very useful!!!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.