It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Best practice to migrate and upgrade CLM server at the same time?

Taki Nakajo (1.1k2846) | asked Oct 11 '15, 8:12 p.m.
What is the best practice to migrate and upgrade RTC server at the same time?
The situation is that ... there is a RTC v4 server (Linux) and I need to migrate to a new Linux server host and upgrade to RTC v5. 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kohji Ohsawa (5951310) | answered Oct 11 '15, 8:54 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 12 '15, 7:53 p.m.
Hi Taki-san,

Normally, it would be a good idea to follow the instructions of backup/restore to migrate RTC from one server to the other. 

However, I think you can migrate APP server more simply like following steps if you meet the following pre conditions.

Pre condition (Added by reflecting Ralph's comment)
- You are NOT changing the public URI. 
- You are NOT moving DB server. (You are moving only APP server.)

Procedure
1. Run # tar czvf JazzTeamServer.tgz /opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer on the current server.
2. Move JazzTeamServer.tgz to the new server and extract it under /opt/IBM on the new server.
3. Then, install InstallationManager and RTC 502 as /opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer502.
4. Change directory to /opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer502/server and upgrade from /opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer to RTC502.

In this scenario, you don't have to worry about IM repository on the current server because the upgrade process doesn't use it. In the new server, you can simply install RTC 502 as a new IM repository. 
Taki Nakajo selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Sterling Ferguson-II commented Oct 12 '15, 8:14 a.m.

Hello,

Just asking...doesn't he still need to do a server rename?

Kohji Ohsawa commented Oct 12 '15, 10:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

No, he doesn't when he is replacing the current server (publicURI: clm.jkebanking.net) with a new server (also, publicURI: clm.jkebanking.net). All he has to do is to resolve the public URI with the ip address of new server.

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 12 '15, 8:57 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am not in agreement with the answer.

first of all, I would do the upgrade first and then change the server, this just makes sure the complexity is kept lower.

You would NOT use the repotools command to tar your databases. Dependent on the size of the repository that can take a long time to export and reimport. Using the repotools export is only needed if the database needs to be migrated. Otherwise you just need to make sure the database is accessible.

I would suggest to do the upgrade and the hardware migration in two steps. If you still want to do both in one step, you can roughly follow the process below, assuming you can keep the public URI stable:

1. Understand the upgrade process - read the interactive upgrade process. During the upgrade you need access to the old data of the old server e.g. the properties files etc.
  2. BACKUP YOUR DATA - see https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/BackupCLM
  3. Copy the old server install folders to the new machine - make sure the index files/folders are copied. If they are still in a location relative to the server folder, you might want to move them to an absolute path, before step 2.
  4. Install the new version side by side to the copy
  5. After the old server is down, change the DNS so that the new server has the fully qualified domain name of the old machine name needed for hosting the pubic URI
  6. Follow the interactive upgrade guide to upgrade. Run the repotools upgrade scripts pointing to the copy of your old system

Comments
Kohji Ohsawa commented Oct 12 '15, 11:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Ralph, thank you for the comment.

As I talked to Taki, he is trying to move only APP server. He does NOT change DB server so that he doesn't need to use repotools to move DB. I tested my steps several time in my env and works fine.

Current App server (clm.jkebanking.net) -> DB server (db2.jkebanking.net)
New App server (clm.jkebanking.net)  -> DB server (db2.jkebanking.net : same as current)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.