It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How does RTC determine which stream to use to resolve paths in Change Summary view?

Donald Nong (14.5k414) | asked Oct 08 '15, 5:39 a.m.
Here is the curious problem - using the JKE Banking sample project as an example.
1. Log on to the repository in RTC Eclipse client.
2. Expand JKE Banking > Source Control > QA Maintenance Stream.
3. Right-click Banking Logic and choose Compare with > Another Repository Workspace or Stream ...
4. Select QA Stream and click OK.
5. In the Change Explorer view, right-click the change set "Deb - Update website of organization", and choose Open with > Change Summary.
6. The Change Summary shows up and the title says "Showing 1 change set - paths resolved with BRM Stream".

Why BRM Stream? I'm expecting either QA Maintenance Stream or QA Stream since it is a comparison between two streams. How does RTC determine which stream to use?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Lily Wang (4.9k714) | answered Oct 09 '15, 12:09 a.m.
Per my testing and observation, the changes path in Change Summary can not be resolved by a stream. To get a full path you need to have a loaded workspace which contains the same component.

If you don't have any workspace shown in Pending Changes which includes the same component, when you comparing two streams and open the change set from Change Summary, you will see the path as "<unresolved>".

If you have a loaded workspace created on "BPM Stream" shown in Pending Changes, as the workspace also contains the component "Banking Logic", the loaded workspace is used to resolve the path in Change Summary and you got the information "paths resolved with BRM Stream".

If you have multiple loaded workspaces which all include the component, RTC with use the first workspace (shown in Pending Changes view) to resolve the path.

You mentioned you got different result in RTC 5.0.2 and RTC 4.0.3, I think it's not due to the different RTC version but different loaded workspaces.
Donald Nong selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Donald Nong commented Oct 09 '15, 12:35 a.m.

This matches my testing result once I know where to look. Thanks!

2 other answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Oct 22 '15, 3:26 a.m.
Somehow, the development team treat this as a defect. Lily's answer (as accepted) explains the behavior very well unless the behavior gets changed in newer versions.
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/372699

permanent link
Arun K Sriramaiah (3.2k13177) | answered Oct 08 '15, 10:48 a.m.
Hi Donald,

I think comparison between the Repository workspace (Source) and Stream QA ( Target).

The file history from the change summary is updated in the BRM Stream, might be your Repository workspace is pointing to BRM Stream.

It will not show the Paths resolved stream details if the changes not exists in the stream.

It worked fine for me.

Please find the below blog below.

https://jazz.net/blog/index.php/2012/10/11/reviewing-code-changes-with-rational-team-concert/

Regards,
Arun.

Comments
Donald Nong commented Oct 08 '15, 11:20 p.m.

I don't understand. I'm comparing two streams, why do you mention a repository workspace?

I also ran a test in RTC 4.0.3, at step 6, the path is unresolved and a message is displayed at the bottom saying "some paths could not be resolved. Click here to select a location that contains these folders", and when I clicked, the two streams showed up as the location candidates as they were "recently accessed". In RTC 5.0.2, RTC makes this decision for me, but the wrong decision.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.