It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

rational team concert eclipse can not discover changes to file

Steven Liddle (1312) | asked Oct 02 '15, 6:12 p.m.
edited Oct 20 '15, 10:22 a.m. by Chris McGee (50511117)
I am using Rational Team Concert v4.0.6 for Eclipse.

I have a file like foo.jar file that I manage outside of the RTC eclipse client. When I make changes to this file I need to have Rational Team Concert recognize that the file has changed and be able to check-in and deliver the changes.

I had at one point put this file in a .jazzignore file to intentionally ignore it but I have made sure to remove it from the .jazzignore file and in fact removed all .jazzignore files from the entire tree.  When I make edits to a few other files in the same directory RTC recognizes the changes. If I add a new jar file to the same directory RTC recognizes the changes. It is only the one file that is being ignored.  

I have even experimented:
Change a foo.txt file in the same directory - RTC discovers the change.
Add foo.txt to the .jazzignore file - RTC no longer notices the change.
Remove foo.txt from the .jazzignore file - RTC again discovers the change.

But this does not seem to apply to foo.jar. I have even wiped my entire installation of RTC, removed the entire directory, and re-installed and I still can not pick up changes.

Accepted answer

permanent link
June Boston (1942438) | answered Oct 20 '15, 1:03 p.m.

I have some files I work on outside of Eclipse but track in RTC.  I find that right clicking the project in the Project Explorer and hitting Refresh causes Eclipse to scan the file system and detect that changes were made, which makes the changes suddenly show up in the Pending Changes view.

Window > Show View > Other and search for the Project Explorer.  It's part of Eclipse, the default project viewing window.

Steven Liddle selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Steven Liddle commented Oct 21 '15, 6:15 p.m.

Thank you June. This was something new to try and brought up an idea to try both loading the component and creating an eclipse project to then explore as you said and try without creating a project to see if it could find the change either way. Neither, unfortunately worked for me. 

In your steps though I did notice that in the Project Explorer window each file and folder is shown with an icon of a small orange something (rectangle/cylindar) in the bottom right of the icon, but the foo.jar file itself has the same icon but it is grey not orange. Maybe that shows a difference, any idea what a grey icon means?

June Boston commented Oct 21 '15, 7:24 p.m.

The grey cylinder  (I think it's the universal 'database' icon) indicates it is on the ignore list.  You can add and remove it to the ignore list via right click menu > Team.

There are outgoing and I believe incoming arrows when there are changes in your sandbox or upstream to deliver/accept.  The yellow cylinder icon indicates it is synced.

Steven Liddle commented Nov 04 '15, 10:01 a.m.

That was it!

Somehow despite not being on any ignore list I could find it was on an internal one. June you are my hero.

One other answer

permanent link
Yasuyuki Tominaga (297416) | answered Oct 04 '15, 11:44 p.m.
Is the timestamp of "foo.jar" changed when edited by external tools?
I had an experience that RTC eclipse client doesn't discover changes to file when timestamp is not changed by an external tool.

Comments
Steven Liddle commented Oct 05 '15, 9:37 a.m.

Good thought but yes the time stamp is updated when changes are made

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 05 '15, 11:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Have you refreshed the view that shows the Jar file? That is what the answer is about.
I am sure I have checked in binaries. And I had to explicitly ignore  .jar files.

Steven Liddle commented Oct 06 '15, 4:09 p.m. | edited Oct 06 '15, 4:10 p.m.

Not entirely sure which view you are referencing:
pending changes - yes I have refreshed but it doesn't show foo.jar
repository files - yes as well and the file foo.jar is shown. I can even do a "diff" and while it is nonsense for a binary file it does show differences
other?

I have also added a "bar.jar" into the same directory which I mention and pending changes view shows the addition of that file, just not any changes to the original "foo.jar"

Chris McGee commented Oct 20 '15, 10:21 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The refresh button in the pending changes view defaults to only refreshing changes made to the repository workspace and its flow target on the server to see if there are new change sets. It doesn't scan the local sandboxes.

Can you try clicking the little down arrow beside the refresh button and choose "Refresh sandbox and remote changes..." It may take a little while for it to complete its scan of the filesystem.

Steven Liddle commented Oct 21 '15, 6:12 p.m.

Yes I have done both. I have refreshed to scan the local with the "Refresh sandbox and remote changes". I actually also have the preferences set up to automatically do this scan every minute or so to automatically detect these local changes done outside of RTC Eclipse client without having to press that refresh button but neither relying on the automatic process, nor specifically requesting the refresh of the sandbox works

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.