It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Burndown chart does not show correct start date

Vivek Pandey (4321538) | asked Sep 30 '15, 5:19 a.m.
edited Sep 30 '15, 11:08 a.m. by Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16)
 hi,

We are using RTC V4.0.6.

While using burndown charts, we are seeing issue, where the start date of sprint is shown as previous day.

Burndown chart is showing data starting from 27-Sep-2015, where as sprint start date is only 28-Sep-2015.

(Not able to upload , since it requires reputation > 60).

Also the ideal burndown line stop at 100hrs mark (of y axis) and does not show the ideal burndown upto zero hours.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Sep 30 '15, 11:25 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Seeing the screenshot from the escalation. here is my finding:
The screenshot shows me the burdown is actually starting from the 28. The x-axis starts from the beginning of the 28th (midnight), the next tick is the end of the 28th. The actual Burndown dot falls inside the 28th. The x-axis is time scaled. So when we say the 28th. that is not a single dot. It is actually a date/time range.
Vivek Pandey selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Vivek Pandey commented Sep 30 '15, 12:47 p.m.

Thanks for answer rafik !

that helps.

however, i still have some more queries related to it, which i emailed you.

One other answer

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Sep 30 '15, 11:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The Burdown x-axis is time scaled and not date scaled. And given that the ETLs run once a day at a time chosen by the users, there will always be a + or - 24 hour imprecision. But I do not see why this is an issue. We tend to get complaints about the end date of the sprint where users want it to be extended by 24 hours to give the users the chance to close or reassign work right after the sprint finishes. I do not see how having the trend start from 24 hours before the sprint actually starts, would make the report less useful. I would argue it is actually a good thing as it could show you information related to the sprint before the sprint actually started.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.