It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Reorganizing our project areas!

Leandro Leal (14614245) | asked Sep 23 '15, 12:40 p.m.
 Hi, people IBM Rational, i belong to a bank where large volumes of requests and incidents are handled and we are planning reorganize our project areas. We currently have a project area for each application and we thought it would have a better option to have a project area for each requests or incidents that was generated. I want to know what the experts recommend. Thanks in advance.

2 answers

permanent link
Leandro Leal (14614245) | answered Sep 23 '15, 1:12 p.m.
 Well, my answers

which tools you are using? 
IBM Rational Team Concert 5.0.2, IBM Rationa Quality Manager 5.0.2

How is defined your development pipeline? By incident? By project? At organizational level? 
They are defined by project or incidents, depending of request

Comments
Tiago Moura commented Sep 23 '15, 1:56 p.m.

Using only RTC and RQM, maybe creating a lot of PAs you will have troubles when you collect metrics from your projects. JRS is a good option here.

With these informations I think you maybe want to split your PA, since you have different pipelines to manager, but many PA's created following incident requests certainly is not a good option, because the number os PA grows forever. 

It's hard to give a precise advice, but I think that the better option will be between the present scenario and the scenario with a lot os PAs. Maybe if you answer the question you could find a way: How can I regroup/organize my application? 

permanent link
Tiago Moura (8387) | answered Sep 23 '15, 1:00 p.m.
 Hi Leandro,

this topic always create huge discussions. One thing I always have in mind is: it is not a wrong option, we need always to analyse tradeoffs related with our choose.

Taking the tiny scenario described by you:

If you have a lot of incidents and all of them became a PA, in a long term you can found yourself in troubles with a lot of PAs to administrate. Beside that, if each incident is handle as an independent project, you maybe can achieve good points following this line.

With only one PA you can easily access a lot of process indicators, but handle a lot of sub projects with different development pipelines together is not a easy task.

I suggest you to give us more details:

which tools you are using?
How is defined your development pipeline? By incident? By project? At organizational level?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.