It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Link to a file in the file system within RTC

Asaf Kivity (3311016) | asked Sep 21 '15, 3:47 p.m.
 Hi,
We look for a way to have a link from a work item in RTC to a file in the file system. We explored some options and we have two main issues we could not resolve:
1. There is no "Browse" button to browse to a file, so you have to manually create the correct path (i.e file:///....)
2. We created an HTML field to have the links working, but still no luck, we cannot open the Manually created links using RTC, we need to copy yhe actual link text and paste it in a browser window.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Thanks.
Asaf

One answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Sep 21 '15, 3:50 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In RTC by default files are related to work items through change sets.

What use case(s) are you attempting to satisfy?

Comments
Asaf Kivity commented Sep 21 '15, 3:55 p.m.

Hi Daniel,

The question is not about source control. We have a situation that we would like to link defects to log files and other relevant material (Hugh files) that sits on our network (file servers). 
We could not find a reasonable way to do that...

Thanks,
Asaf

Daniel Moul commented Sep 21 '15, 4:12 p.m.

Can you make the files in the file system available via a ftp or http server? Then you could use "normal" hyperlinks. I'm not sure whether you can add non-OSLC link types (i.e., generic http web link) to the "Add link" widget in a work item ... I have never explored doing this myself.

Daniel Moul commented Sep 21 '15, 4:15 p.m.

But you could certainly paste the link into a work item field.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Sep 21 '15, 5:13 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You can store an arbitrary URL in the Related_Artifacts link. 

Asaf Kivity commented Sep 21 '15, 6:41 p.m.

the file:///c:\temp\aaa.txt option does not run on the browser through RTC, so both link to artifact or anything else I can think of, does not work....

Ideas?

Asaf Kivity commented Sep 21 '15, 6:43 p.m. | edited Sep 21 '15, 6:45 p.m.

the file:///c:\temp\aaa.txt option does not run on the browser through RTC, so both link to artifact or anything else I can think of, does not work....

Ideas?

Daniel Moul commented Sep 21 '15, 9:06 p.m.

If you can serve your files via a protocol that your web browser knows, life will be easier.  For example, if you run a FTP server with the root (on Windows in this example) at \network-drive\file-root and all of your files are stored in sub-directories of file-root, then you can use ftp://hostname/<path to a file> in your browser.

Asaf Kivity commented Sep 24 '15, 10:23 a.m.

Thanks Daniel,

This again changes the way users are usually working. We are looking for a way to make it as simple as possible. In an Ideal world, have a browse button to search for file, and after selecting it, a link to the file is created, clicking that link will open the file...
sounds simple enough, don't you think? ;-)

Martin Knoll commented Jun 05 '18, 10:32 a.m.

Yes, this will be a solution which I also would like to have.

showing 5 of 9 show 4 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.