It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to compare local file with file in stream?

Pravin Patil (104138133) | asked Sep 16 '15, 3:06 p.m.
edited May 24 '16, 11:05 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)

Hi,

Is it possible to compare (in RTC eclipse client) the changes between 2 files, one present on my C:\ drive and other in stream?

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered May 24 '16, 11:13 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
From a file in the Package Explorer you can right-click it and select "Compare With" --> "Remote..." and then select "Component in another workspace or stream". From there you can pick the stream you want. This will work assuming that the file you have on disk (in Eclipse) is shared/loaded from a repository workspace.
Michael Valenta selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Chris McGee (50511117) | answered Sep 24 '15, 2:55 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,

I think that what you're asking is possible using these instructions:

1) Using a fresh eclipse workspace connect to your RTC server
2) Create an empty eclipse project to put the two versions of the file (File->New->Project...)
3) Using the Team Artifacts view navigate to the stream
4) Right-click and choose "Show->Repository Files"
5) In the repository files view navigate to the file
6) Right-click on the file and choose "Load" to download it to your local drive (pick a memorable location and file name for it)
7) Once the file is downloaded you can import both files into your eclipse project by using the File->Import...>File System wizard
8) Select both files in eclipse project/package explorer, right-click and choose Compare->Each Other...

The steps are not very optimal because usually SCM comparisons are done using the pending changes view with a repository workspace that flows with the stream. Then you have the change set information as well as the ability to see the differences in the file contents.

I hope that this helps,
Chris

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.