It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to generate value for a custom field based on another field, soon after value is entered in dependency field (on pressing 'Enter' or changing focus on to another field)

SRINIVAS MUKKA (111) | asked Sep 14 '15, 8:17 a.m.

Hi,

I have a requirement that I need to populate two fields in the work item editor - 1) 'Search term' & 2) 'Search URL'.
Based on the value entered in the 'Search term' field, URL value is to be derived and populated in the Search URL field. Calculated value script can be used to generate Search URL but, the script would get invoked only when the user saves the work item.

But, the requirement is to have 'Search URL' generated soon after user enters value in the 'Search term' field i.e., URL should get generated without having user invoke the 'Save' work item (may be, on pressing 'Enter' or changing focus on to another field).

Please guide me how to achieve this. Since this is a critical requirement for my project, I would be thankful for your inputs in this regard.

One answer

permanent link
Erwin Kunz (94686986) | answered Sep 14 '15, 11:06 a.m.
To have the filed calculated on change and not on save only, you need to define you search field as dependency of the URL field

hope this helps

erwin

Comments
SRINIVAS MUKKA commented Sep 16 '15, 9:20 a.m.

Hi Erwin,

Thank you very much for the response !!

I have defined the search field as dependency of the URL field.
It works fine while accessing the work item through browser. The Search URL value gets changed as and when I change the value in Search field.

But, the behaviour is different while accessing work item in RTC client.
In RTC client, Search URL is getting modified only once. It is not changing subsequently if I change the value in search field, unless the work item is saved.

How to achieve the same behaviour in RTC client as what I see in browser?

Please help me with the solution.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.