It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I merge changes that include move-in-repository changes?

Martin McAuley (1721533) | asked Sep 07 '15, 11:22 a.m.
I have two streams A and B, with A the flow target for B. Both A and B contain changes which I want to merge, however the changes in B also involve the creation of a new component and various move-in-repository actions to move top-level folders from the existing component to the new component, leaving other folders unmoved in the original component. How do I merge so as to end up with all A's changes merged in with B's changes, across the original and new components, so I can deliver the merged components to A?

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 07 '15, 2:56 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Every component has it's own set of change sets (change sets do not span multiple components), so a move-in-repository operation produces two change sets ... a "deletion" change set in the source component (where it was "moved" from), and an "addition" change set in the target component (where it was moved to).   When you merge from A to B, the "deletion" change sets from the source component in A will cause the corresponding deletions in the source component configuration of B, and the "addition" change sets from the target component in A will cause the corresponding additions in the target component configuration in B.

Comments
Martin McAuley commented Oct 08 '15, 9:12 a.m.

Thanks for this however it does not seem to handle merges across the moved files?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Oct 16 '15, 10:15 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Can you expand on what you mean by "handle merges across the moved files"?   Perhaps provide a specific example?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.