It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I merge changes that include move-in-repository changes?

Martin McAuley (1721533) | asked Sep 07 '15, 11:22 a.m.
I have two streams A and B, with A the flow target for B. Both A and B contain changes which I want to merge, however the changes in B also involve the creation of a new component and various move-in-repository actions to move top-level folders from the existing component to the new component, leaving other folders unmoved in the original component. How do I merge so as to end up with all A's changes merged in with B's changes, across the original and new components, so I can deliver the merged components to A?

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 07 '15, 2:56 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Every component has it's own set of change sets (change sets do not span multiple components), so a move-in-repository operation produces two change sets ... a "deletion" change set in the source component (where it was "moved" from), and an "addition" change set in the target component (where it was moved to).   When you merge from A to B, the "deletion" change sets from the source component in A will cause the corresponding deletions in the source component configuration of B, and the "addition" change sets from the target component in A will cause the corresponding additions in the target component configuration in B.

Comments
Martin McAuley commented Oct 08 '15, 9:12 a.m.

Thanks for this however it does not seem to handle merges across the moved files?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Oct 16 '15, 10:15 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Can you expand on what you mean by "handle merges across the moved files"?   Perhaps provide a specific example?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.