It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can a workitem be locked?

Pravin Patil (104138133) | asked Sep 03 '15, 2:20 p.m.
retagged Sep 18 '15, 4:45 p.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)
Currently if 5 people are working on same workitem and one saves it, other 4 get a message to refresh and accept latest changes (also they will not be able to save the workitem with there changes). And if they refresh these 4 will loose there changes.
is there a way to merge changes in workitems, or lock a workitem?

2 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Sep 03 '15, 8:01 p.m.
Considering the different types of attributes in a work item, you just can't make the "best" decision for merging. For example, when two users update an Integer attribute at the same time, how the merge should take place?

About locking, you can search "optimistic lock vs pessimistic lock" on the internet and learn about the the advantage and disadvantage of the two locking methods. Surely most references you can find are for databases, but the concept is the same.

We can probably implement something similar to how RDNG locks a requirement artifact, but the implementation will be very challenging considering a work item has way more interactions with other artifacts (hence more chances to be updated) than a requirement artifact.

Comments
Pravin Patil commented Sep 04 '15, 12:07 p.m.

So am I correct if I say:

That a workitem cannot be used by multiple people at same time. And incase there are unsaved changes in my WI and other user updates and saves the same WI, I will loose my changes as I will not be able to save until I refresh the WI to get the recent updates?

sam detweiler commented Sep 04 '15, 12:24 p.m.

Correct, if a change conflict detection occurs, you will need to refresh before u can save, and anything not yet saved will be lost

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 12 '15, 12:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The "merge" functionality you are looking for is available in the Eclipse client.
Making this functionality available in the Web client is requested in work item Add possibility to merge work items in the WebUI (306304) .   You should click on the thumbs-up vote icon if you support this request (currently, that request has no votes).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.