It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

is IBM planning to sunset ClearCase and ClearQuest and replace it for RTC?

Rafael Rodriguez Montes (23013126247) | asked Aug 18 '15, 12:12 p.m.
 Hi, 

I would like to know if there is any plan for replace ClearQuest and ClearCase for RTC ? 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 18 '15, 2:36 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
No, there is no plan (and never has been any plan) to replace CC or CQ with RTC.

Many customers have enhanced their CC/CQ environment with the addition of RTC (commonly, for agile planning support), using the CC/CQ Connectors to integrate those environments.   And some have fully migrated from CC/CQ to RTC.

But there are CC capabilities that will not be introduced to RTC (primarily, dynamic views, and dependent functionality such as build auditing), and any customer that needs those capabilities will always use CC.   In addition, for many CC/CQ customers, their investment in customizing CC/CQ outweighs any benefits they might get from switching to a different system, so they will continue to use CC/CQ.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Rafael Rodriguez Montes commented Aug 18 '15, 3:40 p.m.

Thank you, how about CQ vs RTC? the work items vs. Record types are almost the same concept? 

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 18 '15, 4:08 p.m.

For CQ, it is primarily around the second topic ... i.e. for many CQ customers, their investment in customizing CQ outweighs the benefits they would get from switching to RTC.   But note that many (perhaps most) CQ customers have added RTC to their environment, so that they can get the planning and other out-of-the-box capabilities provided by RTC, and link those RTC work items to the appropriate ClearQuest records (using the out-of-the-box OSLC links provided by both CQ and RTC).   In particular, it is common to keep existing "heavyweight, highly customized" processes in ClearQuest, while using the out-of-the-box processes provided by RTC for lighter weight processes.  Note that as a ClearQuest license holder with paid-up support, you are entitled to use RTC work items (there is a special RTC work item license for those CQ license holders).

Rafael Rodriguez Montes commented Aug 19 '15, 8:00 p.m.

We know that the Planning capabilities can be developed on CQ, so I don't see the value to buy RTC just for to add planning capabilities, so where is the value to have linked two different tools when I can do the same thing (More in CQ as you said highly customized) ? or the trend is to have RTC better (highly customized) than CC and CQ? and then finally close those products?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 20 '15, 12:41 a.m.

I personally have never seen RTC-level planning capabilities developed on CQ, and note that CQ users do not have to buy RTC to add planning capabilities ... they are entitled to use RTC planning.   And to reiterate, there are no plans to "close" CC or CQ, for the reasons described in my previous comment.

Rafael Rodriguez Montes commented Sep 02 '15, 12:42 p.m.

The big difference on planning area are the charts, but since that ClearQuest has a clean DB can be easily connected with any Report tool and get better charts than RTC, or develop any app with google charts for create beautiful dashboards without any jazz/ibm logo and the possibilities to make a planning area better and high customization are on the table same as the rest of other tracking process so according what you said don't make sense having to move to RTC knowing that I will have less customization and limitations and adapt all to the tool vs tool adapt to the company process?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Sep 02 '15, 12:51 p.m. | edited Sep 02 '15, 12:51 p.m.

There are no reporting tools that allow you to perform live scheduling operations (i.e. changing the estimated time or scheduled iteration of a work item, and having the view automatically update all of the effort and progress roll-up as well as schedules).  For that, you would have to use RTC (or one of the competing agile planning tools).  Unless of course you implemented your own agile planning tool, just using CQ as your database, but you are talking many person-years of effort for such a tool (the database part is the easy part).   Now as to whether that is sufficient motivation for adopting RTC, that depends on how important that agile planning functionality is to your organization.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

One other answer

permanent link
Kunal Doddanavar (45222632) | answered Aug 20 '15, 2:52 a.m.
 HI Rafael,
                 There are no plans to replace CC/CQ with RTC.
-Kunal 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.